Gov't Threatens to Fine Foreigners Who Don't Wear Facemasks

Coss

The government’s pandemic response center said the country is at the risk of another coronavirus outbreak because some foreign visitors are failing to follow disease control measures, like wearing facemasks in public.

Centre for COVID-19 Situation spokeswoman Apisamai Srirangson said the agency has received complaints from hotel staff and provincial officials who witnessed violations of coronavirus safety measures among foreign visitors in some areas.

Apisamai said tourists are subject to the nationwide mask mandate, which carries a maximum fine of 20,000 baht for violators. It is also considered a criminal offence. (they should put that bit in red, on the advertisements that say, "come to Thailand and give us all your money" ~Coss )

“Visitors must comply, or they will be prosecuted,” she said.

The threat and advice to foreigners to wear masks were then repeated during the same news conference in English by Ministry of Foreign Affairs deputy spokesman Natapanu Nopakun, who reminded everyone that under the Communicable Disease Act, masks must be worn when engaging in activities in public.

“You’re required to wear masks while in public spaces and while doing activities in groups,” he said. “There is a maximum of 20,000 baht for failing to do so.”

The mask mandate was imposed in late April, when coronavirus resurgence was starting to take hold, fueled by high-ranking government officials and VIPs who flouted social distancing rules and gathered to make parties.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/11/23/govt-threatens-to-fine-foreigners-who-dont-wear-facemask/

I see. " Visitors " repeatedly tested before being able to pollute the streets of Bangkok are responsible for  " another virus outbreak because some foreign visitors are failing to follow disease control measures, like wearing facemasks in public. "

Would these " some visitors " wear masks, there would be no outbreak. Which is because there are far more "some visitors" in public than Thais .

Scaremongering headline made out to be anti foreigner, but in this case I will defend Thailand.

The fine is UP TO 20,000THB, for first offense it is 1,000THB, This has been Government Policy for Over Six Months and is not a new rule introduced to fleece tourists. 
Why should tourist e except for rules which already apply to locals, all they did was reiterate the existence of the rule. Khalsod should be embarrassed by that headline.

Thais rip off Tourists in1001 ways, but this is  to e of them.

As previously stated, if this had been.  a case of “Farang Gouging” I would have been all over it, but in this instances it is not, merely repeating current policy, which has been in place since may, to tourists who have only been arriving since 1 Nov and not be aware of the requirements.

There would be more uproar if Tourists were fined for not wearing face mask if the policy had not been reiterated than now they know

I support the idea that anybody not wearing a mask should be fined, as much as I support the idea to have anybody pay for his hospital bill if infected and not vaccinated. Assuming anybody can get a vaccination if he wants.

I do not support the idea that a possible outbreak should be related to some foreigners between millions of Thais.

" The government’s pandemic response center said the country is at the risk of another coronavirus outbreak because some foreign visitors are failing to follow disease control measures, like wearing facemasks in public."