So few remain - however remain emotionally attached to thai360.com.

Kiwi

I think i might be having an internet way back when evening.  Logged onto teakdoor earlier as well - my last post there was 2018.

Nice to see so many names i still recognise.  Hi folks!

My excuse, moving back home.  Its difficult to keep ties with a place 15 hrs away by plane.  you try and keep up but gradually log on less and less.  then coming back, its more difficult as the world is a big old place with plenty of places still to visit for the first time.   add in increasing flight costs, exchange rates - can we bring back 1999?, covid etc etc.

Keep well everyone  :wave:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 6:53 AM, Crash999 said:

Glad to see a few folks still around! 

i'm still here too!
Survived several hypertension attacks in the winter.

The crucial question is why this board is down.
We lack the new blood! the younger generations!
These have obviously lost the desire for Bangkok and Pattaya and any sanuk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nasiadai said:

The crucial question is why this board is down.
We lack the new blood! the younger generations!
These have obviously lost the desire for Bangkok and Pattaya and any sanuk.

They are too busy trying to cancel everything they don’t agree with, telling the world their preferred pronouns, acting too cool to care and searching for the Instagram friendly photo opportunity than actually switching off and having a bit of fun.

I used to make fun of the Japanese tourists, for taking photos of everything rather than experiencing the thing itself.

The young people today just wanna take a photo of themselves in front of the thing and have people they don't know like the photo.

Very very few of them actually do anything of note.

I used to take the young lady, on a ferry to Kawau Island and hike around the coast line, camping for a night on the cliffs of the ocean side of the island. Small tent, fire, fish caught off the rocks, shag. Next day repeat.

As Kong says, the younger ones these days will be too cool to do this.

Unless there's an Uber to take them to the next photo opportunity... 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I last signed-in.  So long, in fact that I have been classified as a board "Newbie" though I go back to 2001 or 2.  Seems most of my post history has been whiped out.  Too bad: it would have been humbling to read some of the dumber things I carried on about way back then.  I read through this entire thread and it was nice to see some familiar board names still active.

Brought to the board this day by the sad passing of Suadum who along with "Lao Hu Li "(Frank Truman) met me at Cathouse my first night ever in Bangkok (April, 2002; 1st day of Songkran) and impressed upon me the local rules of the game, every one of which I immediately broke.  It was through both of them that I was introduced to the many who became friends, a few of whom are still around.

Dan was a good friend to me. There were epic parties at his apartment along with epic visits to Washington Square, Soi Cowboy, Soi 33 and some hidden spots in between.  He was fun to be with.

The discussion of the difficulty arranging board get-togethers brought to mind the ill-fated attempt, Christmas of 2002 (or was it 2003?) for what was supposed to be the first Nanaplaza.com Annual General Meeting, arranged by Lao Hu Li.

Hundreds from all over pledged to attend.  Frank hired a hall, a catering crew and a decent band.  Buffalo Bill put up a bunch of door prizes (one of which I won but never cashed-in, damn it)

Frank stood by the door waiting for the crowd to start showing...but they never did.  Maybe 30 showed-up but not the hundreds that had pledged to attend. It was pretty much a bust and Frank took a financial hit because he hadn't asked for advance deposits which in those days, was not an easy thing to do.  I remember that KS dug in and helped him out.

Those were good years back then and I feel very lucky to have been a part of it.