Global Regional Names

Mekong

I got to thinking, dangerous when I think because all sorts of shit and crazy ideas inside my head.

Why is the Middle East called the Middle East? I know the “East of Greenwich” concept but where is the “Near East”? You can’t have Middle and Far without Near, or at least not Logically, but I assume logic does not apply. 
The we get to South East Asia, only Singapore and parts of Indonesia are South of the Equator, also  there is no North East Asia, how can you have South without North. Far East is OK, for some but not others.

For a start, South East Asia is also classed as the “”Far East” but to a Kiwi or an Aussie the “Far East is actually” the “Near West” and the “Middle East” is the “”Far West” To compound matters even further both Australia and New Zealand whilst being further East the many Eastern a countries are classified as being in the West

So we have Middle East which is actually the Near East, South East Asia which is North and the Far East. not forgetting the Sub Continent which is halfway between the Middle and Far East, maybe that should be the Middle East and SE Asia remains in the Far East

The we come to “The West” this knocks the “East of Greenwich” concept into a cocked hat, because apart from France, Portugal and Spain, all European “Western Nations” are actually to the East of Greenwich so it could also be argued that there are part of the non existing “Near East” 

So the West starts in the East and goes more than half way around the world to the International Date Line (plus the Antipodeans who sneaked in) yet it is called “The West” No “Middle West” or “ Far West” No South West (which would probably be in the North anyway) just “The West” Why is the East sub divided and the West isn’t? 

All of this is totally confusing and the only cure is to stop thinking.

Middle Earth is a very recent term only coined in 2000 with the filming of Lord of the Rings there.

The actual “Middle Earth “ is in the West Midlands UK.

I doubt that the rest of the world acknowledges New Zealand’s claim to th name “Middle Earth” based on the fact that was used as a movie set, no more than Jordan can claim Wadi Rum as being Mars (The Martian, Mission to Mars, The Red Planet  to name a few movies)

They are Asians. The border in the Ural Mountains, Caspian Sea, The Bosphoros Suez Canal and Red Sea, but I agree not South.

The UK refers to the People as South Asians (I don’t know why either) but region as the “Sub Continent” as previously covered in Original Post