Bangkok’s New Wetland Park

Coss

17 hours ago, Mekong said:

Who would use it, the original Benjakitti Park opened in 2004 and I have walked there a grand total of zero times. For “Wetland” read”Mosquito Breeding Zone”, like as if I am going to walk in the Bangkok sum through an unshaded ares through Mosquito Central for fun, I can think of a lot better things to do

I walked through that park literally thousands of times and can attest that before 8:00 AM weekdays and 10:00 AM weekends and after 5:00 PM most days it was busy with a lot of people out for a morning walk or bicycle ride around the park. There were A LOT of regulars who exercised in the park and you'd see the same people at the same time everyday. I used to go for my morning walk there everyday from 2009 - 2015. I'd also sometimes cut through the park and cut across to Lumpini and down to Silom, especially at the less hot time of year. In the middle of the day it is quieter, obviously, with few people about due to the heat. But for sure, Benjakitt Park had quite a following and I imagine V2 will be even more popular.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Stickman said:

I'd also sometimes cut through the park and cut across to Lumpini and down to Silom, 

You make it sound like a pleasant stroll, which IMHO it isn’t.

You have to take your life into your own hands and cross where the expressway entrance is opposite Thanon Cheua Plearng on Rama IV then a 15 min / 1 km walk alongside Rama IV to Wireless Road just to get to Lumpini. Must be an hours walk at least to Silom from Asoke.

Me, I would pay 21 THB and take the Air Conditioned MRT to Lumpini or 23 THB to Silom

I think you have been away for too long Stick and just have romantic memories :wink:

8 hours ago, Mekong said:

You make it sound like a pleasant stroll, which IMHO it isn’t.

You have to take your life into your own hands and cross where the expressway entrance is opposite Thanon Cheua Plearng on Rama IV then a 15 min / 1 km walk alongside Rama IV to Wireless Road just to get to Lumpini. Must be an hours walk at least to Silom from Asoke.

Me, I would pay 21 THB and take the Air Conditioned MRT to Lumpini or 23 THB to Silom

I think you have been away for too long Stick and just have romantic memories :wink:

I, like many people, used to enjoy the park for my daily exercise. With downtown Bangkok being a concrete jungle, the park was a very pleasant environment for those of us who like to walk / run / cycle / exercise outside. Some people prefer to lift weights in a gym, I prefer to take a long walk each day - and for that the park was perfect.

Not sure about the traffic crossing you mention - but you can walk from Asoke to Silom via the two parks with a mix of pedestrian overbridges and underground stations without having to cross any roads - or at last you could when I was last in Bangkok which, admittedly, is 2+ years ago.

Khun Stick, if you please would refrain from questioning nonsense that Mr Mekong publishes. He would not give up til finding a Bangkok streetmap from 1834 to prove his point. No idea about this park myself of course. Good to see you are still alive, I bet you are as keen hitting the roads in Khrungthep as I am. All the best.

Kuhn Bubi

Far from it, I used to live just down Chuea Plearng Road from 2001 up till 2010, so the area in question used to be my old stomping ground, so to speak. A street map of 1834 would not prove a point since Chalerm Nakhon Expressway, and none of the others, had been built back then, as I am sure even you may understand. When one resides in an area one tends to have knowledge of the geography of said area. Pretty useless you talking about navigating Bangkok, in your mind there is only on Soi 7 in the whole of the city.

Stick, once through the park / Thai Tobacco Monopoly grounds, you come out on Thanon Duang Thak, also referred to as Soi Zero, you must remember Soi Zero bars next to the train line and under the expressway where Sukhumvit becomes Ploenchit. You are still west of the  very same expressway, you still haven’t gone under it yet. Klong Toey MRT station underpass only crosses Rama IV, so you have to cross the expressway entry / exit ramps at Rama IV.

Check it out on a map, just not a 1834 edition, to refresh your memory. Anywhere else in Bangkok I may question my own memories but not that junction which I must have passed through a few thousand times. Friday night meetings at  Bradmans were always ended with a stroll / bar hopping down Cowboy, MRT from Sukhumvit to Klong Toey then a Motocyc taxi from the rand u dear the expressway Cheau Plearng side.

5 hours ago, Mekong said:

Stick, once through the park / Thai Tobacco Monopoly grounds, you come out on Thanon Duang Thak, also referred to as Soi Zero, you must remember Soi Zero bars next to the train line and under the expressway where Sukhumvit becomes Ploenchit. You are still west of the  very same expressway, you still haven’t gone under it yet. Klong Toey MRT station underpass only crosses Rama IV, so you have to cross the expressway entry / exit ramps at Rama IV.

I took the "green route" elevated path across the park which takes you over the expressway and dumps you at the north-east corner of Lumpini Park. Then I would walk through Lumpini Park down to the Silom underground and go under Rama 4 to Silom. Did it many times. Believe me, I am no fan of crossing the road in Bangkok!

I stand corrected, it is the route known as The Green Mile which comes out on wireless NW corner of Lumpini opposite Soi Sarasin. 

In my defense (haha) I never used to walk, always drove or MRT and according to the website in the link it was opened in 2012 and I moved from the area in 2010 (damn that long) prior to construction / opening. What also threw me when you said you used it everyday 2009-2015, I may have misinterpreted what you wrote.

I assumed you meant walked to Lumpini on occasions from 2010-2015, but evidently you must have meant walled to Lumpini on occasions 2012 onwards. My misunderstanding.

Khun Bubi

Not quite a map from 1834 but close pre 2012 😜