Mobile firms agree another 5G delay at US airports

Mekong

US mobile networks AT&T and Verizon have agreed to postpone the rollout of their new 5G service at some airports.

The C-band service, which offers faster speeds and broader coverage, was due to be turned on tomorrow. 

But airlines in the US have pushed to delay the start, warning that the signals could interfere with aeroplane navigation systems.

The telecoms firms expressed frustration as they bowed to pressure to limit their rollout.

Link

Call me simple, but I am a little confused here. They have 5G at Survhanibhumi, Narita, Sydney, Wellington, Incheon, Doha, Dubai, Heathrow and numerous other international hubs without an issue, so what is so fucking special about the US? I don’t sit in front of a computer or TV 24/7 but I am sure I would have heard if an aircraft had crashed due to interference with flight navigation systems

I knew an AirNZ pilot, on the subject of cellphones in airplanes, he said, occasionally you could hear a few clicks or static like sounds, whilst flying, due to passengers trying to call home.

He was unconcerned about this, but also said, when you're responsible for so many people, it pays to err on the side of caution and he was happy there were no cell phones allowed.

Kong, it could be an abundance of caution.

But like you, I reckon, that if they haven't learnt how to shield plane electronics, from commonly used communications channels, perhaps they could go back to school and learn about the faraday cage...

Done a bit of research, C-Band 5G transmits at 5.850 to 6.425 GHz whereas 4.200 to 4.400 GHz is used for ARNS (Aeronautical Radio Navigation Services) so they will not interfere with each other as far as I can remember. It’s been over 40 years since I studied and took my amateur radio exams (yes, I was a geek), we need Radioman to confirm since this is his bread and butter.

Aircraft by there. very construction are a Faraday Cage, but they also have antenna for ANRS and Radio Communications.

Headlines are misleading / I have been misreading them, it is not 5G which may cause problems but specifically 5G+ which operates on C-Band. C-Band is 5G on steroids and is usually installed in locations such as Shopping Malls, Sports Stadia, Train  Stations etc, but now Airports.

Which brings me to my original question, why is it an issue in the US and not the rest of the world, surely the abundance of caution should be applied globally.

The carriers, the FCC and the FAA have disagreed on whether C-band 5G signals that use the 3.7 to 3.98GHz frequency range could interfere with instruments like altimeters that measure in the 4.2 to 4.4GHz spectrum. Wireless industry lobbying group CTIA argues that nearly 40 countries – including Australia, China, France, Japan, South Korea and the United Kingdom – already have 5G deployed over C-band with no issues involving aircraft. Link

Well, yes

But historically ITU had a part to play. 

C Band has 4 different frequencies globally.

Bit silly

The answer is actually pretty easy

Adjust the power

After all Pico or mini cell is the driver of 5G, so less power, hand sets aren't that powerful

But yeah, USA, what can I say! Marconi would be spinning

As you see the issue is the 3.7-3.98 GHz band, which is strictly a US assignment.

It was taken away from satellite and auctioned to mobile carriers because 5G, which is basically an excuse for the mobile industry to do or get whatever they want. But the license is not technically limited to any particular use; if somebody wanted to run a different protocol there, they could

thong is C Band for satellites is still very much needed for reliable service

its not as efficient as Ku or Ka band, but far .more reliable.