หนาว (năao)

Mekong

It has been a little bit chilly in Bangkok the past few days, well for Bangkok at least, a Hi of Only 28 C and a Lo of 21 C

It is April, peak of hot season, it should be 35 / 27, these temperatures are colder than December / January.

I am not exactly reaching for my Thermals, and appreciate the lower electric bills not running the AC 24/7, but it really is unseasonably cool.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Yeah, loving it!

Sanuk!

I am apart from the fact wifey keeps nagging me to wear a pullover in the evening and put a blanket on the bed.

I am like”Feck” it’s 21 C Shorts and T Shirt weather in Northern Europe, a damn summers day, and many people swim in the sea.

I am designed and built for this climate and a lot cooler.  …   Blank looks.

Reminds me of a time when a fellow traveller and I observed a mild breeze, flowing through a market in Laos, of about 15 knots.

Of course there were large shade umbrellas, being blown around, chickens and old ladies being blown off their feet.

15 knots is so normal and unremarkable, for most of us from island nations (UK, NZ), that we were amused by the locals panicking and describing the mild wind as,  "Tornado!"

Me (NZ) and the fellow traveller (UK) being from island nations, each of us with some nautical background, are well acquainted with Nautical Miles and Knots.

I can look at the sea and give a reasonably accurate estimate of wind strength, based on experience.

To your original question: I imaging that citizens of the Laos PDR would use Google like everyone else. Non citizens may or may not find their internet access restricted in such matters, depending on whether or not the Government Internet guy, has turned on the #2 Lao IP Gateway computer (Dell).

Nope, it's the wind I can estimate. Near the sea I look at the water and what it's doing.

In a market I look at what's being blown around and the speed and trajectories to estimate what I think is the speed of the wind. I use knots because that's what I am used to, others might use metres/second, or the concentration of methane at a measured distance from the orifice.

But at sea it is easier to determine due to fixed constants such as area and density and the waves will act accordingly dependent on wind speed.

But in a Market there are variables,, Old Ladies have different mass from other Old Ladies and Chickens different from other Chickens, granted Large Shade Umbrellas are similar to each other. Do you weigh said Old Ladies and Chickens before ascertaining wind speed velocity, or just having a “Best Guess” based upon experience of the weight of Old Ladies and Chickens.

Also, you do nott indicate if your estimate is based upon Large Shade Umbrellas, Old Ladies and Chickens in an open area of said market or in aisles between stalls or buildings where localised velocity will increase due to the Venturi Effect.

The Venturi Effect applies to confined flows and refers to the increase in flow rate due to a decrease in the flow cross section, Flow Rate and Flow Cross Sectional Area are Inversely Proportional.

Benoulli Principle is same same but different, he said an increase in flow rate leads to a decrease in pressure.