When and Where Did You See Your Most Notable Band/Musician?

cavanami

Farm Aid II, Manor Downs, Manor, TX, 04th July 1986

Music from about 7 AM to 1AM, non-stop! Had a revolving stage to keep the music flowing

From 7 until 10 a.m.

Cherokee Rose (with Willie Nelson), Jerry Max Lane, Jubal Clark, Danny Cooksey, Lee Clayton, Boxcar Willie.  Johnny Bush, Gary P. Nunn, Rusty Wier, the Geezinsalw Brothers, Bill and Bonnie Hearne, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Steven Fromholz, Willie Nelson, Julio Iglesias, Willie and Waylon Jennings, Alex Harvey, Willie and David Lynn Jones, the Beach Boys, Johnny Paycheck, J.D. Souther with the Nelsons, B.W. Stevenson, David Allen Coe, Dusty Rhodes, War, Roy Head, Minnie Mouse and the Disney characters.

From 10 a.m. until 1 p.m.

Judy Collins, Patty Lovelace, Vern Gosdin, Charlie Haid, Little Joe y La Familia, Exile, the Blasters, Judy Rodman, Don Johnson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Rob Lowe, David Lindley and El Rayo-X, Sawyer Brown, the Rock and Roll All-Stars (Willie Nelson, John Bon Jovi, Vince Neil, Dickey Betts, Joe Walsh).

From 1 until 4 p.m.

George Jones, Gary Morris, Robert Guillaume, Nils Lofgren, Billy Joe Shaver, Playboy Girls of Rock n Roll, David Soul, Dave Mason, Dwight Yoakum, John Anderson, Bobbie Raitt, Roger McGuinn, Taj Mahal.

From 4 until 7 p.m.

William Lee Golden, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, John Prine, Roger Miller, the Nelsons, X, John Schneider, Asleep at the Wheel, Doug Kershaw, the Unforgiven, Joe Ely

From 7 until 10 p.m.

The Bellamy Brothers, Alabama, Green on Red, Christopher Hewitt, Los Lobos, Jack Wagner, John Couger Mellancamp with Maria McKee, Arlo Guthrie, Kris Kristofferson, Jason and the Scorchers.

From 10 p.m. until 1 a.m.

Rick James, Neil Young, Rita Coolidge, Steppenwolf, John Conlee, Delbert McClinton, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Kip Addotta, Leslie Phillips, Felix Cavaliere, Willie Nelson and Family, All Star Finale.

A toss up between

Led Zepplin Knebworth August 11 1979

Zepplins last ever concert in the UK, John Bonham passed away just over 12 months later

AC/DC Manchester Apollo October 30 1979

One of last UK shows featuring Bon Scott, he passed away within 4 months.

I have tried to listen to them with Brian Johnson but can’t, it’s like seeing an ex you were really into with a new fella.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:48 PM, Mekong said:

AC/DC Manchester Apollo October 30 1979

One of last UK shows featuring Bon Scott, he passed away within 4 months.

I have tried to listen to them with Brian Johnson but can’t, it’s like seeing an ex you were really into with a new fella.

I know it is subjective and all, but it is rather telling that 14 out of the Top 20 AC;DC songs, according to This List are from the Bon Scott era, 6 Albums, compared to only 6 from Brian Johnson’s 11 Albums.

It appears more than a few people agree with me

For the record, I did see them with Brian Johnson, they headlined 1981 “Monsters of Rock” in the UK, so I did give him a chance, but naahh.

Another notable one, more notable for who performed than for me. May 1972 Grateful Dead and Captain Beefheart at the Bickershaw Festival.

A concert that should never have happened and probably unknown to most. Bickershaw is a small mining village (Pop. Circa 748) South East of Wigan, a place renowned for flat caps, whippets and woodbines than bands such as these. Up to this point the most famous person to play in Wigan was George Formby, and he was born there.

But play they did, my Dad got wind of free entry on the Sunday, gates and ticketing had all gone to rat shit, so took me and my eldest sister along. Even today in the UK if you mention the day you saw Grateful Dead play is the shadows of the Slag Heaps of Bickershaw Colliery people think you have been at the Magic Mushrooms again.

In no particular order or venue, all in Auckland, all between 1970 and 1985

David Bowie, Elton John, Pretenders, Dragon, Violent Femmes, Devo, John Denver, Madness, Split Enz, Cure, Citizen Band, Swingers (Phil Judd), John Denver.

And Innumerable Symphony orchestra concerts.

Jeez - that takes me back, we were spoilt for choice in those days, all the kids get now, is a 40 yr old standing behind two pretend turntables playing mp3s (or similar) and enthusiastically making hand signals in time to the rhythm section.

wysiwyg_full_star-listings900.jpg

Auckland gig guide