What did your father and or mother do during WW II?

cavanami

My Father spoke very little of what he did in WW II. One time he did say that he fought in the Aleutian Islands.
Most of the Aleutian Islands belong to the U.S. state of Alaska, but some belong to the Russian federal subject of Kamchatka Krai.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands

One time after he enjoyed a few adult he sobbed and explained about fighting the Japanese there and the Japanese bombing the island.

Another I asked him what else he did...he said he went to France.

After he passed away, we found his medals from the D-day invasion...WTF...not exactly a vacation!!!

That generation had grit!!!

My Parents were kids during WW2.

Dads family got bomber out during the Manchester Blitz  in 1940 and evert Christmas he would always go on about how Hitler had bombed his Cinematograph, usually after his 3tfe or 4th Whiskey. His Graddads Fish and Chip shop was also bombed 

Mum was an evacuee, gas mask in a cardboard box on string around her neck to boot, her and her sister were shipped out to some family in the countryside. After the war they kept in touch with the people who looked after her until they passed, probably in the late 80’s early 90’s..

Both of my Grandfathers never went to war, they were deemed as “Vital Roles”, both Engineers.

After the Aleutian islands, the army sent him to Texas for OTS, officer training school. He found time to marry my mom. Pop and mom stayed in a private home as the army base was too small to accommodate all the soldiers. After the war, my parents stayed in contact with the Texas folks. We even did a family vacation to visit them..

Far different times. People pulled together to get it done.

Mum was getting trained as a nurse, dad was in the University regiment which was sending blokes overseas unlike a reserve unit today in Oz. He refused to be anything other than a private, was almost promoted so took to going awaol with my mum. Local cinema would put up a sign saying go back to barracks. He was studying medicine, so once he graduated they gave him an officer title and sent him to the remotest part of Tasmania. BUT they never released him from being able to be called up untill he was 50. They figured they owned him as he had a medical degree. Every year he'd get basically saying, if we want to, we can take you back anytime