Apple to discontinue the iPod after 21 years

Mekong

Link

Got my first and only iPod a 4th Generation Click 40 Gb, in late 2004, it blew my mind that I could have up to 8,000 tunes in my pocket. For someone like me who loves music and was living out of a suitcase Contracting around the Middle East at the time it was an answer to all my dreams.

Even when I got my first iPhone in 2007 I still had my iPod due to the iPhones limited memory at the time, and continued to use it up until about 2017 when the 128Gb iPhone 7 was introduced.

13 years of using it without it ever missing a beat, damn good work horse. Still got it, sat in my “retired shit and leads you don’t throw away just in case” drawer

Was never into 8 Track, the sound quality was iffy, tapes wore out quickly, limited selection of titles available, and, the Mai factor, price. An 8 Track player would have cost more than the cars I was driving at 17 years old.

Always Cassette tapes for mobile music, never pre recoded always recorded from my own, or borrowed from mates, albums, and later on CD’s. 
Also NO MIX TAPES, some kids at school spent hours putting together mix tapes in order to woo or impress the gals….Fucking Sad Cunts…. 

• 1 month later...

I had to search for the last picture for this post, the days of 8 track seem to be gone completely. This was a post that I wrote for another site way back in 2007 about 8 tracks and how I felt about them as a kid growing up. The reason I am bringing this back is because my kids keep asking if they can have an 8 Track mixtape like mommy and daddy were able to make. Seems technology moved forward while they were growing up and they never experience a player or asked to hear their parents tapes.

I am confused, in another post you described yourself as a “Proud mid 30’s millennial”, so let’s say born in 1985.

So a teenager in 1998,  16 years after the demise of the 8 track and the introduction of the walkman. What you you doing making mix tapes on 16 year obsolete technology which was not portable (except for in cars which would be 2002 for you) 

I just don’t get why anyone would make mix tapes on an 8 Track when, far superior Cassette Tape was available

My Dad had an 8 track in his  2 litre  Rover P6.

Remarkable, for also having only 3 tapes, all of them Neil Diamond and some of the same songs, on each.

The car was very underpowered, though I did manage to spin it into oncoming traffic, without a scratch to anyone or anything, thence continuing on my way, without a word to Dad, ever.

The V8s were much better

RoverTC.jpg.f610f3f35f16220d5df2c26f5bccd736.jpg

The Rover P6 was built for high speed rather than power. At the time of its launch Motorways with no speed limits were being built in the UK and the P6 could cruise at 90 MPH all day, it just took it half a bloody day to get up to 90 though.

8 Track players were fitted to “Executive” vehicles but not to Mini’s, Anglia’s and the like. As stated, portable players were only for US market, and even then as rare as rocking horse droppings.