Monkey Pox - no, not a joke

Coss

I remember to tale what the Bangkok Post reports with a pinch of salt nowadays, the standard of journalism has deteriorated exponentially over the years

This from Thai PBS World

Link

Thailand has asked the World Health Organisation (WHO) for support in providing smallpox vaccine, as a precautionary measure against Monkeypox, now that the country has eased travel restrictions for overseas arrivals from many countries, including those where Monkeypox has been detected.

The request for smallpox vaccine was conveyed by Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul to WHO Director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus during a courtesy call on the new director on Wednesday in Geneva. Anutin was in Geneva to attend the 75th World Health Assembly.

No cases of monkeypox have been confirmed in Thailand yet despite checks having been conducted on over 25,000 monkeys in the kingdom.

Officials have so far run tests on 25,000 of 50,000 monkeys in 222 locations nationwide but all the results have come back negative, Phattarapol Mee-on, a veterinarian at the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, said on Wednesday.
Link

But This article says it doesn’t come from monkeys

Well, first of all, monkeypox does not come from monkeys. It’s called monkeypox because it was first isolated from a monkey in Africa, but the reservoir for it is in rodents, specifically rodents in Central and West Africa. 

Thailand once again providing comedy to the world.

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2024 at 11:40 PM, bust said:

I had no idea you lived in Melbourne :cover:

While I did almost immigrate to OZ years ago, I never made it. “Here” in the context of my previous post, pertains to San Francisco, where I am from. “Here” is/was “ground zero” for the AIDS problem in the USA at the time/back in the day and a lot of the political fallout that followed. The gay community made AIDS/HIV a political issue and forced research and public policies etc, that led to advancements in treatments. The attempt was repeated with Monkey Px, but it seems to have died out before any major upheaval. 

• 3 weeks later...