Thai electric bills triple?

cavanami

NZ May pay almost double but average salary is at least treble, and GDP per capita is six fold, so comparatively you are paying less.

I thought third grade statistics you weee taught not to compare apples with oranges, well at least I was.

You are saying that -

something's  price is dependant on what the customer earns, not on what it is cost to make + a reasonable profit margin.

i.e. an oz of gold is US $1,736.68, in Thailand  - but should be 3 or 6 times that in NZ

My point is that in NZ our Hydro power stations are made of concrete and have been paid for. No ongoing costs other than minimal maintenance.

No cost of service, in loans. Also the fuel for them is free (rain)

I imagine that most of Thailand's power is provided by Coal or Gas, or some such (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1268103/thailand-electricity-generation-by-source-of-fuel/)  Which costs money,  to use to make electricity,

Ergo, the cost to make Electricity in Thailand will be much much higher, than that made in NZ. And yet we are paying a much much higher retail price.

There is no upper limit to corporate and shareholder profit.

And can we really 'make' electricity?

Thailand has quite a bit of Hydro coming from Laos as well as some home grown

Thailand buys about half of Laos's Hydro 

Thought you'd know?

old numbers  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroelectricity_in_Thailand

newer numbers - https://www.rfa.org/english/news/laos/thailand-03092022145758.html

https://earthjournalism.net/stories/locked-in-why-thailand-buys-electricity-from-laos

image.thumb.png.f82d2b909a2c87585df05d24fb659cd7.png

3 hours ago, Coss said:

You are saying that -

something's  price is dependant on what the customer earns, not on what it is cost to make + a reasonable profit margin.

i.e. an oz of gold is US $1,736.68, in Thailand  - but should be 3 or 6 times that in NZ

That is not what I am saying at all, you are just trying to twist it.

You said “Electricity is two times the price in NZ” to which I said “relative to wages and GDP it is cheaper in NZ”.
I never said NZ salaries are higher so Electric should be, that was yourself twisting what I said.

Thailand is claiming the cost of Natural Gas is increasing, and are blaming the war in Ukraine.

Majority of Thai gas is domestic, not affected by Ukraine

Imports from Myanmar which only exports to Thailand and China. China haven’t imposed sanctions on Russia so still buying gas, so please do tell how price of Thai imports from Myanmar are affected by war in Ukraine

4 hours ago, Coss said:

My point is that in NZ our Hydro power stations are made of concrete and have been paid for. No ongoing costs other than minimal maintenance.

No cost of service, in loans. Also the fuel for them is free (rain)

I

I doubt very much already paid for, a Hydro cost three times as much as a Gas Turbine Power Plant to build.

Before a Plant is even built the Owner will negotiate a PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) made of of various factors such as Cost of Land Purchase and Cost of Construction, Collective referred to as CAPEX, Capital Expenditure, and Operation Costs, Maintenance Costs,Fuel Cost, Loan Interest Paymemts and Profit, know as OPEX, Operational Expenditure.

It is not “All Paid For” when Constructed, it is built with borrowed money paid back during the plants lifecycle.

Whilst OPEX is relatively low due to no fuel costs and low number of plant operators, CAPEX is relatively high due to cost of land purchase for the massive man made reservoirs behind the dams, unless you just steal it from the Māoris. 

<<

Thailand is claiming the cost of Natural Gas is increasing, and are blaming the war in Ukraine.

Majority of Thai gas is domestic, not affected by Ukraine

>>

As mentioned previously, price is usually a global thing, 

In Oz our electricity went through the roof

Because f Ukraine pushing up global prices

You can see the costs of Hydro above by the way

I can see the cost of Hydro it may be cheap but makes up approx 4,25% of Thailands overall consumption. Also a Laos Hydro are on the Mekong so production is proportional to rainfall, and you can only dam a river finite times.

Coal is cheaper, but the tree huggers scream Blue Murder, even imported Coal Power from Laos is only slightly higher then hydro, Hongsa Lignite is a Coal Fired Power Plant in Laos commissioned 2016.

What your table also shows is how the cost of Coal and Gas 20 and 66% respectively are keeping the average production price down since Solar and Wind are above average.