Wealthy foreigners can own Thai land

Coss

Mekong with a million in the bank where would you go?

I'm no longer interested in Thailand, I admit Laos is tempting but I lack the requisite wife, 

Vietnam is attractive but it's getting so crowded out 

Oddly I do still love bits of Malaysia, 

Even remote Philippines has some lovely spots, 

To be honest, I'd probably settle for Tahiti or FSM both I love working in.

2 hours ago, My Penis is hungry said:

Mekong with a million in the bank where would you go?

Vietnam is attractive but it's getting so crowded out 

Not sure TBH, since I don’t have USD 1 Million not given it much thought 

Vietnam is only crowded in Da Nang, Ha Noi and HCMC, even so property ownership rules are worse than Thailand, foreigner can’t even own a Condo unless married to a local. The expats who I know liking there and not just working all have one thing in common “Viet Wife”

Indonesia has to be up there with current visa rules.

• 2 months later...

I have no property in Thailand now. I was last there for a month in August 2022. I loved the warmth and the food of course but I quickly lost interest in the people or what they were doing and rather counted the dates until my return flight.

I was intending to look at a new place, a couple of places actually. There is a very beautiful house and land outside Hua Hin which reminds me of Spain with the view of the mountains and memories of a happier life. In a relative sense the house is not hugely expensive and is certainly more than I would ever require but I feel it would be a prison of sorts and I would either have to fill it with a partner I don't have or suffer the isolation alone. Or at least until Somchai decided he'd rather have what I have.

Built it and they will come or so the saying goes but in Thailand, setting up a life for a family without first having that family can mean poor decisions swiftly follow. I know I could get lucky and find someone who swapped their time and affection for security and so forth and I am not delusional to think that is not the same the world over but it isn't enough to put me into house ownership once again.

So I read this latest saga about being able to buy land if you do this or do that or qualify this way or that and I turn the page because I have heard it all before.

Same same but different the locals say, or at least they used to.

• Thanks 2