Thailand launches rescue operation for 33 missing sailors after navy ship sinks

bust

Which points more towards a ballasting issue.

A ships fuel tanks are normally located next to the engine room, which itself is towards the stern of the ship. If the fuel tanks are not filled with compensated ballast then the stern of the ship becomes lighter, which in turn means the bow becomes relatively heavier.

This will cause the vessel to “Pitch” forward and effectively make the bow sit lower in the water / closer to the waves.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ships ARE designed to have holes, hence the reason for bilge pumps, also if no holes how do people below deck breath?
Even if they did “Batten down the hatches” there still would have been ways for water ingress, this is what bilge pumps are designed for. What they are not designed for is copious water ingress due to bad trim and the bow lying low in the water.

Adm Choengchai admitted on Tuesday that there were not enough life jackets for crew members on the ship. But he explained that before the ship sank, it took on board 15 marines and another 15 personnel from the Air and Coastal Defence Command to take part in a ceremony marking the anniversary of the death of the Prince of Chumphon, who is regarded as the "Father of the Thai Navy" in Chumphon. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2465982/rtn-takes-flak-over-lost-ship

So let’s get this straight, the Top Dog Admiral of the Thai Navy thinks it is OK to ignore SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) regulations, pick up a bunch of non crew members and make merit for some dead Royal

2 hours ago, My Penis is hungry said:

no idea which is correct term

Bulkhead is the dividing wall between compartments. Passage through is via a Watertight Door or a “Bulkhead Door” these doors are located below deck and are watertight in both directions. These doors must be kept closed at all times except for short durations to allow passage of crew, door position is monitored by ships control system and doors may be closed remotely from the bridge.

For the record, I have worked on FPSOs (Floating Production Storage and Offloading Vessels) basically a mini oil refinery on a ship and have experience of such.

F74DC2DD-4EF4-40EF-AAD0-ABEAAC169143.webp

16 hours ago, My Penis is hungry said:

Coss when you say open holes what holes do you mean?

What I mean is - hatches, doors, windows, air vents, etc, etc, that on any boat, even the smaller launches used by us public, will be designed to be closed when the weather starts dumping water, over the side or bow, onto the deck.

I use the facetious term "holes" to describe these.

Kong has described how balast may have allowed the water to get up onto the bow and decks, I maintain that in order for water to get inside a warship, is has to go in through a hole of some sort, i.e. hatches, doors, windows, air vents, etc, etc,

16 hours ago, My Penis is hungry said:

Usually there are lots of fire doors on navy ships, that need to be closed

Is that what you mean?

Yes - see below:

image.jpeg.4c910f76810974831453b8b3e1f1ba75.jpeg

hole closed - water can't get in

image.jpeg.fdb794ab43fb82b3bba24c3c9752fad0.jpeg

hole open -water come in

17 hours ago, Mekong said:

Ships ARE designed to have holes, hence the reason for bilge pumps, also if no holes how do people below deck breath?

"Warships not being designed to have holes open when the water is coming over the side/bow/front portion."

I didn't say no holes I said,  to have holes open