Thailand launches rescue operation for 33 missing sailors after navy ship sinks

bust

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh Tinnies and Outboards - the memories - You Ockers and us Kiwis do indeed share a culture.

Fishing, courting, racing, getting to Islands, the tinnie (not tinny) must be the most versatile water craft in existence, and indestructible unless propelled at speed into rocks*.

"Was fun being a kid in the 70's growing up on the water"  yessum

*Don't ask me how I know this.

t-02-Sunken-HTMS-Sukhothai-pictured.jpg

Sunken HTMS Sukhothai pictured

Navy spokesman Adm Pokkrong Monthatpalin said navy scuba divers reached the sunken corvette to search for its missing navy sailors in addition to searches on the surface of the sea and local coasts.

The Royal Thai Navy has released the pictures of sunken HTMS Sukhothai where no missing navy sailors were found.

Navy spokesman Adm Pokkrong Monthatpalin said navy scuba divers reached the sunken corvette to search for its missing navy sailors in addition to searches on the surface of the sea and local coasts.

Meanwhile, HTMS Bang Rachan laid new buoys above the location of the sunken corvette because earlier placed buoys went missing due to fishing.

Coss Comment: does Adm Pokkrong Monthatpalin mean, some fishermen came and stole the buoys?

An underwater demolition team from HTMS Ravi examined the main deck of HTMS Sukhothai and its vicinity. The team did not find any missing sailor there.

The corvette sank in stormy seas about 20 nautical miles off Prachuap Khiri Khan province on Dec 18 while carrying 105 seamen. Of them, 76 were rescued, 24 died and five were missing. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/sunken-htms-sukhothai-pictured-420474

32 minutes ago, Coss said:

An underwater demolition team from HTMS Ravi examined the main deck of HTMS Sukhothai and its vicinity. The team did not find any missing sailor there.

As if dead bodies are going to be on the Main Deck of a sunken vessel.

Yes, I know that often something is lost in translation, but to even us old fellas, the apparent inexperience, the Thais have with common sense and logic, is apparent, all the time.

I remember when they wanted to use ships engines and propellers to speed the water down the Chao Praya river, so as to lower the flooding.

I'm surprised that the Navy hasn't suggested lowering pumps down to the wreck, and powering them with the ship's engines, and by pumping the water out of the ship, through it's portholes,  it would naturally float to the surface.