Bali plans to ban tourists from renting motorbikes

Coss

230315025007-01-bali-tourist-motorbike-1

Indonesia’s “island of the gods” plans to enact some rules that may make it feel a bit less heavenly for foreign travelers.

Bali governor Wayan Koster said in a March 12 press briefing that his government plans to crack down on foreign tourists who work illegally on the island – which could potentially include “digital nomads.”

In addition, Koster said tourists will no longer be allowed to rent motorbikes, which are a popular way to get around the island.

He told reporters from multiple outlets, including CNN Indonesia, that tourists would be restricted to using cars for travel around the island.

Koster said that foreigners riding motorcycles without valid paperwork and helmets, driving recklessly, using fake Indonesian ID cards or abusing residence and work permits would be targeted. 

Bali, a predominantly Hindu island within a majority Muslim country, has long been a popular destinations for backpackers and beach lovers. 

But local-versus-tourist relations came to a head during the coronavirus pandemic.

Two self-described influencers and content creators, Josh Paler Lin and Leia “Lisha” Se, ran afoul of Balinese officials when one painted a fake blue face mask on the other for a YouTube stunt.

The video went viral and quickly generated backlash from locals and foreigners alike. 

In April 2021, the pair made an apology video featuring their attorneys, but were deported to their native countries.

In another development, controversial new laws were announced by the national government in Jakarta in December that will makes it illegal for non-married couples cohabit or have sex, however Koster has said they will not affect visitors or foreign residents. 

In his speech this week, the governor blamed the pandemic for slowing down progress on the island, which is heavily reliant on tourism. 

The island reopened to vaccinated tourists from 19 countries, including China, France and New Zealand, in October 2021. Currently, citizens of 86 countries are eligible for visas on arrival on the island.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/bali-indonesia-motorbike-tourist-ban-intl-hnk/index.html

6 hours ago, Coss said:

Koster said that foreigners riding motorcycles without valid paperwork and helmets

What is it, a ban on all foreigners Renting a motorcycle or foreigners without a Licence ?

In the UK even though 67% of population have a car Licence only 2.5% have a motorcycle licence, wouldn’t surprise me if the ratios were similar in Australia, New Zealand etc, Yet once they land in Tropical climes they all claim to be able to ride a motorcycle

• Sad 1

I had never ridden a motorbike until I got to Koh Larn off Pattaya.  So naturally I decided to rent one...almost lost it going up an extremely steep hairpin turn.😱  For some reason, I thought I could ride a motorbike when I got to Koh Larn.  :dunno:

1 hour ago, zzzz said:

I had never ridden a motorbike until I got to Koh Larn off Pattaya.  So naturally I decided to rent one...almost lost it going up an extremely steep hairpin turn.😱  For some reason, I thought I could ride a motorbike when I got to Koh Larn.  :dunno:

You are not the first, and no doubt won’t be the last.

I, on other hand, have been riding motorcycles since I was 5, first school ot trials and motor cross before I took Uk circuit and road racing at 17, the same age I was when I passed my bike test.

I have hurtled down country lanes at speeds of up to 185 MPH inches from death but I have never even considered riding a Motorcycle in Thailand, even I have my limits. 

I consider this safer 

My excursions on the wheels of death, are from the age of 21, after I did an "advanced safety" course, which was driving around a car park at slow speed, whilst some dude watched...

I've had one close call (broken leg), several adrenalin highs whilst airborne (Acid), and only one accident that wasn't my doing. That accident was at 10 km/hr in Pattaya, when a local piled into my ankle...

1st best bike, Yamaha XS650. 2nd and last best bike, Honda 750 super Magna 86 - magnificent V4, which is as mother said, half a V8.

In Laos, if you don't have a moto, you walk everywhere, or get out the ute.

I'd like another one of these -

image.jpeg.bb2a86797d24f04d2d9be25a2eed59e7.jpeg

I learnt on the farm, as I did the car, but as I also learnt, riding around crazy on the farm and driving with other vehicles is very different

SR400! Ahhhhhh Sighhhhhh

I wonder if part of the problem is all the tourists see little kids and 80 year old granny riding around and think it's all ok?

One of my daughters has an odd problem, 

In the village she is by far the best on a motorcycle than anyone else in the family, been controlling the bike since she was maybe 4 or even 3, riding alone since about 8, 

But put her in a car and she was awful, 

She can't steer. She's great on gear changes etc, 

But she seriously keeps leaning when wanting to turn, it's so ingrained in her she hardly moves the wheel at all. 

It would be funny if it wasn't so scary at times, 

They all have manual driving licenses except one of my other girls who went for an auto, and now of course wants a manual