Odds on a Coup

Coss

I’d say extremely unlikely unless they want a repeat of May 1992

PPRP and UTN the 2 military parties only garnered 15% of the vote, compared to60% by MRP and PT, the people have spoken and what they have said is “Fuck Off” to the elite.

What we will see, IMHO, are numerous accusations of various infringements of Electron rules aimed at MFP and PT by the military scum who will try anything to try to hold onto power, drawn out over the next few days if not even weeks. I don’t even think that the Senate are foolish enough to back the military govern the 4:1 ration in fa out of change.

Too early for Thais to celebrate yet, but I can see the day when Less Majeste law is repelled, Political prisoners released  and Prayut and his cronies put on trial for crimes against Thailand.

Just hope Pinocchio keeps his promise and disappears into obscurity 

• Like 1

Listening to the radio news driving on the Autobahn in my motorcar I was wondering this morning how soon the ruling groups would start digging til they find a piece somewehere in Thai parliamentary history that the government belongs to the Thai/Chinese plus another family of ancient origin. They wouldn´t just fuck off, would they?

16 minutes ago, buffalo_bill said:

Listening to the radio news driving on the Autobahn in my motorcar I was wondering this morning how soon the ruling groups would start digging til they find a piece somewehere in Thai parliamentary history that the government belongs to the Thai/Chinese plus another family of ancient origin. They wouldn´t just fuck off, would they?

They sort of have that under the constitution. The Senate, which is not elected by people but chosen by the Government, are basically 250 seats  in addition to the 500 chosen by the people. This how PPP (The Military) “won” the last election, PT got more votes but the senators, who were chosen by the military, all cast their votes for PPP, thereby the party the people didn’t vote for came into power.

It is still the same senators this time but MFP and PT have blown the military so far into defeat that I doubt even the senate vote can save them this time, the senators cannot be that stupid this time around. 
For the record, whoever gets into power this time will elect the new senate in about 12 months time

• Like 1

The way the senate is supposed to work is that all parties submit 2-3 people for PM role and the senate selects the most suitable based on experience, education etc. They are supposed to make the selection of the nominations from the winners of the election, not, as happened last time, select a PM from a losing Party. This was manipulation by the Military and why people did not accept them as an elected government, hence the ongoing protests for the past 5 years.

Move Forward leader Pita Limjaroenrat announced on Monday the formation of a planned coalition government comprising five former opposition parties and one new party, with a total of 309 MPs and himself as Prime Minister ……

Full Story

True to his word, refusing to get into bed with any of the parties, especially Bumjaithai (BJT Anutin  and the Potheads) who are part of existing government. BJT had 71 seats and if joined would bring total up to 380, 4 above the 376 needed ( 124 + 250 Senate is 374)

If all other governing parties form a coalition that would be 191 seats, it as if he is daring the senate to go against the will of the people.

what pissed me off now is why it takes another 60 days for the result to be made official 

And so it begins

Two senators have indicated they will not vote to support Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat as the new prime minister, questioning his attitude towards the monarchy. 

Senator Jadet Insawang said on Monday that he took oath on assuming office that he would protect the present constitution. Sections 6 and 50 of the constitution required everyone to protect
he constitutional monarchy, he said. 

Full Article