The end of Som Tam as we know it?

phiketpete

Watching the TV this morning there was a little feature on the good old som tam girls of Hualamphong station

Never having been down there I had always assumed that they were 60 year old good time girls at the end of their carrers.

The group that this feature focussed on were young girls (20's) and I have seen far worse walking up and down Sukhumvit. However the pictures were taken from some distance.

They go the whole nine yards in pretending to sell somtam,carrying all the paraphenalia but as the presenter noticed If all they are selling is som tam why do they need to wear so much make up.

Now that it has been openly shown what actually goes on down there

I wonder if this will now lead to a clamp down on som tam sellers around the city as part of this new govts clean up campaign.

Get your som tam while you can

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

This news has been around for a few months now. This som tam thing happens to be around Hualamphong station only and it is catered to locals. I think the police won't do drastic thing like cleaning up all som tam sellers as you said.(You were joking - right?)

After all, the police love som tam too smile.gif" border="0

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: BkkShaggy ]

Mischa28

Som Tam is a dish originating from the North East,Issan region of Thailand. It consists of shredded green papaya, dried shrimp or crab claws, lime juice, garlic,fish sauce and chillies.

Don't forget the authentic Isaan somtaan has the secret ingrediant the rotten fish juice b lar or something said like that, and I don't mean Pla as in fish.

quote:

Originally posted by kratai:

Don't forget the authentic Isaan somtaan has the secret ingrediant the rotten fish juice b lar or something said like that, and I don't mean Pla as in fish.

Kratai,

Actually,the fish jouice you mentioned is called "Pla Rah". Very aromatic indeed wink.gif" border="0

BkkShaggy.

the bangkok post ran a feature about the "som tam girls" at the train station about a year ago- it didn't do anything to stop business then- none of them speak english and although the going rate is about 300 baht, i didn't think it was much value

please please tell me that som tum guy outside woodstock/g-spot is not secretly a good-time gal!

that's where my BG sources her/our som tum and i'd hate to think with a wink and a nod i could have got him back to the room too.

its bad enough having to run the casanova gauntlet on the way downstairs.

Archived