Aids ? Denial ?

After reading a post today from another thread I was triggered into thinking about Aids . The fact that so many of us travel to Thailand and enjoy the carnal ride that is easily obtained there begs the question ? Are we in denial ? The ; It can't happen to me attitude might creep into our thinking ? And I'm sure this subject has been discussed before on this board but I'd like to address it again because it deals with life and death ! How much thought do we give to such a big issue ? And just because we might practise safe sex are we really safe ? Accidents happen . Condoms break . Do we sue the condom manufacturer ? Just something to think about .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit huge surprise at the number of seemingly educated and informed guys that still go bareback...and I have seen a lot of these guys get awfully nervous when the conversation comes around to the big "A". It seems that people who bareback have a big scare at one time or another...and they go on to regret their actions...

Stick

A good friend of mine who has lived in BKK for the past five years never uses a condom ! And he has been with as many as ten different bg's in one week ! He has a huge sexual appetite and never rests and I just know he has to have Aids by now . Sadly I will probably be telling you how many of his girlfriends attended his funeral in the not too distant future .

Guest lazyphil

<A good friend of mine who has lived in BKK for the past five years never uses a condom !>......

....Exactly how can you be sure of this, are you there at the time the deed is done?!!!

As a matter of fact I have been there a few times and no condom . Also I've talked to some of his steady girls and they verify his claims , so I know of what I speak .

Life is not safe. It's all about your tolerance for risk. Based on research that I'm aware of, sex with hookers is pretty low risk - as least as far as HIV goes, so long as you use a condom properly and consistently. No more risky than riding motorcycles with proper protective gear, something that I feel comfortable doing. Probably safer even.

Of course the diffence between motorcycle riding and AIDS is that it's not just your life your risking. If you get it because you're a 'I don't wear condoms' kind of guy, your likely to take a few people with you.

You'd be surprised MOST Bkk expats go bareback a significant number of times

The ones I have spoken to are in the main intelligent guys, so if they have lived in Bkk for say 15 yrs they go bareback and most of their friends go BB and they know no one who has contracted HIV they start to think about, and deduce correctly that the risk to a man from sex with a woman is very very minimal.

Lek are you very worried about developing breast cancer?

No you'll say,.. to put in in perspective 6* more hetrosexual men die from breast cancer in the US then from AIDS each year.

The number of men in the US that die from breast cancer is well under a 1000, to put it in perspective .

STH

yes, i also don't know any expat who got infected. i know a lot of expats who don't use condoms and some of them get infected with other VDs on a regular base.

but, that does not say much.

how should i know if someone i know is infected or not? i am not going around making bloodtests with all my friends and acquintances. i also don't ask if they are infected or not unless they are very closed friends.

if someone wants to conceal his/her infection it is not very difficult. especially with the new drugs one can live a very normal healthy life over a very long period of time.

i know one woman who was nearly dying a year ago from AIDS, but has had since access to the drugs and lives a normal, healthy life now, just has to take two pills a day, here in thailand those drugs cost about 1200 baht a month at the moment.

AIDS is there, and it is everyones personal decision how to deal with it. but believing that you can't get infected is a bit like living in a illusionary world.

Archived