Aids ? Denial ?

Someone: I need a health certificate.

"Doctor": Well, are you healthy?

Someone: Um, yeah, I guess so...

"Doctor": OK, here's your certificate. That'll be 50B. Oh wait, you also wanted HIV negative? That's 300B.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey speaking of denial, here's a guy right here:

"You'd be surprised MOST Bkk expats go bareback a significant number of times"

Don't try to assume that all of us are as reckless as, say, you are.

My circle of friends and acquaintances must be the outliers in your scientific survey of condom usage among expatriates living in Thailand as we most certainly do not have a bareback policy. AIDS is a big issue among expats here and discussion of it invariably leads to condom usage- I know of a few guys here who don't use condoms and there are always (somewhat nervous) jokes about their state of health and frequent sickliness.

Although I haven't been here long enough to see any expats die of AIDS, I did know a bargirl who died last year who used to work in a popular bar in one of the big entertainment areas. The difference with her was that it happened rather suddenly and she didn't have time to go home to the provinces as most bargirls do when they get too sick to work and can't afford to live here any longer.

Not all girls you see disappearing from the bar scene are marrying farang and moving away.

".. to put in in perspective 6* more hetrosexual men die from breast cancer in the US then from AIDS each year."

"The number of men in the US that die from breast cancer is well under a 1000, to put it in perspective ."

Let's check your statistics. Breast cancer death among males accounts for 0.8% of all breast cancer deaths, or less than 250 per year, according to the American Cancer Society. The amount of deaths in the US according to the CDC that were attributed to AIDS was 20k in 1998, 75% of which were male. 10% of current cases were directly attributed to heterosexual sex, giving us approximately 1500 deaths pear year of males living in the US attributed to heterosexual sex.

So you got the number 6 correct, but it's backwards- 6x as many males die from AIDS traced to heterosexual sex in the US as die from breast cancer.

Not only are your facts mixed up but so is your logic.

Here in Thailand we're talking about frequent, sometimes daily (or more) contact with prostitutes, some of whom are HIV+. This is far different from the US whereby most of the population simply do not live the same sort of hedonistic lifestyle.

Your analogy akin to saying that very few people in the US die of cholera each year so therefore cholera is nothing to worry about for those people traveling to poor countries.

Utterly rediculous and potentially dangerous, but perhaps wishing the problem will go away will make it go away, eh?

"giving us approximately 1500 deaths pear year of males living in the US attributed to heterosexual sex."

Where on the list of causes of death for heterosexual males in the US does this statistic fall?

"Where on the list of causes of death for heterosexual males in the US does this statistic fall?"

You mean in comparison to ALL causes? I can't be bothered to look it up right now but it's not hard to see that it falls quite low. Cancer and heart disease would naturally be right up there.

Keeping the same analogy as above, cholera kills very few people each year in the US. But that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. Engaging in sexual relations with prostitutes whose HIV status is unknown is certainly risky behavior- it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

I am not in denial, I just put it in perspective, answer me honestly Crash999 would you have even bothered to respond to this thread if people were discussing the dangers, real or imagined of dengue fever or say the dangers of general anthesthetic......

I am counter balance to the histrionics that surround this topic.

STH

STH, i agree with everything you've said on this thread

- hiv is definitely a real threat from heterosexual sex when taking into account cumulative risks associated with frequent and habitual barebacking - but the actual risk from any single episode of unprotected vaginal sex with hiv infected women is almost negligible (relatively)

like you say - its all about putting relative risks into perspective

apparently 50% of smokers die from a smoking related cause - yet there is nowhere near the same level of paranoia/stigma associated with cigarette smoking - the same goes for eating fatty fast foods which increase risk of stroking out or heart attacks

i don't know the figures but i wouldn't be surprised if there was more risk of dying during the journey to LOS (associated with the risk of death from the taxi ride/plane journey/crossing roads needed to get there) than there is from the barebacking itself

having said that i'm also surprised by the extremely high prevalence of hiv in africa - i don't know anything about sexual practises over there but wonder about how common sodomy is in that region

• 2 weeks later...

Cuts on the finger!!!

Everybody has them. We all just gottah diddle 'em...can't resist.

The first time I was there this unbelievably hot, like 20 y/o at a sudsy massage joint checked my fingers out and saw cuts and told me to keep them away from her goods. She said she saw the generation before her get wiped out. Smart little gal! It made me very aware of an overlooked point of infection that the cleverest of viruses can get in. The LOS took steps to avert the spread while the rest of the world puts it's head in the sand.

Archived