Aids ? Denial ?

Is it true that one must have a HIV test to get a visa to China?

Imagine if this were to happen in Thailand?

I have always been prone to some kissing and foreplay before I throw on a condom and get down to business. Most BG's I've been with ask about a condom if they don't see that I have one during the foreplay. I always set one on the night stand to ensure the girl that I intend to use one. I bring a good supply with me on every trip as I have become accustommed to a certain brand. Once a freelancer from Theramea came out of the bathroom with a bag containing 100 plus condoms. 'You Butterfly!' she said. 'Yes', I agreed, 'I am butterfly'.

I use a condom to protect against any STD, not just the nasty HIV. In some instances, e.g. HERPES, a condom may provids no protection. I would have to think that there are alot of people that are HIV+ than will admit, therefore I guess by participating in the scene I'm taking a risk. A risk I will continue to take over and over again.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have been many times to china, never an HIV test.

only if you want to have a work permit there you need a negative test. but the same counts for thailand too, and india, and most other asian countries i know.

Hi S_O_T_H,

This is a rehashed old post of mine on this subject.

Yes, in the LOS I know of no Farangs who have died of AIDS. However, your comments about Bangkok's long term residents sort of indirectly intimate that if you are not gay and do not inject drugs then your pretty much safe from such issues. I do not agree.

I used to work in Zambia and Zimbabwe in Africa. In these two countries intravenous drug use is virtually unknown, and neither do the locals have a greater penchant for buggery then any other nations. But HIV and AIDS is an epidemic afflicting over 15% of the population in some areas - and yes I do believe the statistics on Africa's AIDS problem. I saw men, women and children of all ages, visibly suffering from the horrrfic looking terminal stages everyday on the streets. There are millions of them. For every one I saw in the terminal stages, there must be another 10 more that were HIV+.

Africa's terrible problems serves to warn us that AIDS's certainly does afflict regular, non substance abusing heterosexuals.

I know it exists Flyonzewall, but I am frank about the risk, in Thailand I know the risk is higher than here in the UK i know that, however I believe that for hetrosexual males the risk is still low.

I believe that resources should be directed at where they are needed, whats the point in spending millions on hiv awareness amoungst hetrosexual people here in the UK its a waste of money and part of the politically correct movement.

I dont think there have ever been any documented cases, look how much media attention, money the virus receives when compared to say prostrate cancer, or MS.

STH

Hi there,

Your right there, in Africa the strain of HIV is HIV 2 which is slightly different.

In addition in Africa they often do not test, merely if patient A has 3 out of 5 symtoms they are diagnosed.

Also they are various other infections which are very prevalent in that region coupled with circumcision for both sexes bordering on common butchery, coupled with buggery as a common method of birth control, coupled with gay sex being taboo, all adds up.

However I do wonder why it is so bad there than in say europe.

STH

it is that bad.

recently an MSF doctor working in that field told me that the dying has started already, and within the next 5 to 6 years it is expected that so many millions are going to die that the worst hit areas will be ungovernable.

as i said, it is everyone's own responsibility how to deal with the existence of AIDS. i am not going to tell you what to do, but if you come down one day, don't start complaining.

maybe you should have a look in some AIDS wards here, that might have a different impact than all the theories.

I watched a good friend die from AID

S. He suffered terribly for many months. I think that those that indulge in risky behavior just don't know what a terrible way it is to die from that disease.

Hi FOZW,

The stats for HIV in Africa are surreal. Plus sporadic Ebola outbreaks.....I'd rather live at the South Pole than in Kinchasa.

HT

There are those that say most of the prostitutes have it and those who think almost none in farang areas. There are those that don't think you can get it from sex and those that do. I think it is ok to discuss it because I don't think anyone knows for sure, but it would be ridiculous to drop your guard because of what you hear someone say on a message board. Try to learn as much as you can from factual sources and err on the side of caution.

Here is some interesting info from the below link (with percentages substituted). I can't say if and how accurate this is, but it is another piece of information to consider.

http://www.cirp.org/library/disease/HIV/gray2/

The probability of HIV transmission per sexual act of vaginal intercourse, or infectivity, has been estimated from prospective studies of HIV-discordant partners or male contacts with prostitutes. Published estimates of transmission probabilities per act vary from 0.01% to 0.14% in US and European studies of discordant couples and to 0.2% in Thai couples. However, higher transmission probabilities (5.6% - 10% per act) have been reported among men who had contacts with prostitutes in Thailand and Kenya. The higher transmission probabilities associated with commercial sex might be attributable to the presence of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), which are thought to increase infectivity of or susceptibility to HIV or to possible errors in reported contact frequency. Other factors that increase transmission include lower CD4 counts or AIDS in the HIV-positive index partner, and anal intercourse. Male-to-female HIV transmission is usually more efficient than female-to-male transmission in US and European populations, but the small numbers of HIV-positive female index partners limit conclusive sex-specific estimates of transmission probabilities per sex act.

Archived