How to say "Khao jai mai?" politely

I find myself sometimes asking (usually in a bar or with a BG) "Khao jai mai?" or "Khao jai mai krap?" in a effort to say "you know what I mean?" or "do you follow me?" kind of thing. Because I know my Thai is not so great to try to prompt the person to see if I am being clear and/or understood. However, in most languages it's a bit rude to say "Do you understand?" as if the person is an idiot. (You know what I mean!)

So, I wondered if there is a more colloquial and polite way of saying "do you follow me?"

BTW, if you do know and it's not a hassle can you post it in Thai?!

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Firstly, I don't think it's rude at all to ask 'do you understand?' - kow jai mai - being that we are trying to communicate in a different tongue. Nothing got to do with being an idiot. A rocket scientist may well sound like an idiot trying to communicate in a foreign tongue. However there is another way you could try to get across your meaning of 'do you follow me?' .....

And that is to say 'do you understand what I'm saying?'

in Thai:

'fung rue reuang rue bplao?'

¿Ñ§ÃÙéàÃ×èçËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒ

Thanks for your reply and vote of confidence! The reason why I mentioned this is because I used to say the same kind of thing in Spanish (ie., "entiendes!"). Until one day I was told that it's more of something parents might say to children or people who are very familiar with each other, otherwise it can sound a bit rude. In Spanish, there are other ways people say it that are more polite. My thinking was maybe I was being (unintentionally)rude and not aware of it when saying the same in Thai.

Anyway, thanks

friendlyfiend,

>'fung rue reuang rue bplao?'

>¿Ñ§ÃÙéàÃ×èçËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒ

I think Khao jai mai? sounds a lot better.

To me 'fung rue reuang rue bplao?' is like underestimate the listenner ability to understand. Jing Jing Na. Almost offensive if a Thai ask a Thai like this or even a Farang ask a Thai.

Khao jai mai?

GTG

Although I feel that the "khao jai mai khrap" is perfectly appropriate you could rephrase your question a bit and ask if your thai is correct, like in:

Phom phoot took mai khrap?

I think that would go down well as well.

Hua Nguu

GTG,

Thanks for that tip.

I personally would use the 'kow jai mai' I think in most situations. But in the past, when I was learning Thai I often was met with 'fung mai roo ruang' after I'd been rambling on... So I did use this other phrase to ask whether what I was saying was understood at all or not. I never realised it might sound rude. Also, a Thai saying this to another Thai shouldn't even come into the equation because we are talking about understandings/and misunderstandings in a second language.

Cheers,

FF

The expression: fang maikhuy ruu reurang or fang mai ruu reuang I would consider to be at least mildly offensive and only used if the speaker in concern didn`t have the first clue as to what the conversation was all about.

Like saying in english: He doesn`t know jack shit or he doesn`t have a clue anyway.

Hua Nguu.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

So would it be considered rude for a Thai student to say this to his English teacher? Often I have students who, when we reach a difficult subject matter or new concept, will tell me in Thai that they 'fang mai roo reuang'. Should I be offended by this? I have yet to be offended by it because of the way that it is delivered, which appears to be more with a face of confusion rather than appearing ill-mannered or discourteous.

FF

Hi,

Sorry, I probably didn`t make myself clear in my post.

What I meant to say was if they say that about *you* now that would be offensive or they would be damned sure that you didn`t understand a word in thai.

In you case they are referring to themselves, basically saying they don`t have a clue.

Nothing offensive about that at all unless you take offense from them not being able to comprehend what you are trying to teach them smile.gif

Regards

Hua Nguu

Archived