Chill out place close to Bangkok

I want to go to a place where I can chill out for about 3 days between visits to Bangkok. I don't want to travel too far and would prefer a beach resort. I am looking for somewhere with cheap but reasonable accommodation . A questhouse or beach hut would be good, with an area of restaurants and bars.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kipster.

Kanchanaburi could be the place to go, if you arern't looking for sand and surf. Also, Ko Samet isnt too far away, and is pretty chiiled out You could also consider flying to Samui or Phuket (1 Hour) or Taking the bus to Cha-am or Hua Hin.

Cheers

Jaga

I'd suggest Hua Hin, its only 2 1/2 hours on the bus, has beaches, bars and restaurants. for a little quieter, and less action theres cha-am - more of a thai-style beach resort (very quiet this time of year). If you can live without the beach go to Kanchanaburi (just came back myself), v.relaxing, cheap as hell, a few bars and restaurants.

I'm with Buksida. I'm definitely in the Hua Hin camp, and Kanchanaburi town is pleasant to see. That's where the real Bridge over the River Kwai is, although the film was an egregious fiction. The War Cemetery is interesting to see, too.

Another vote from me. Hua Hin/Cha Am area is quite quiet and relaxing. Hua Hin is better than Cha Am if you want to do something other than stay in the hotel.

Pattaya is not a place to chill by any means. That place is hopping.

Kanchanaburi is quiet and relaxing. But not nearly as much to do as Hua Hin IF you want to get out and about a bit.

Kanchanaburi is well cheap and the locals are sound but nowt to do without making some effort(tours etc..).Cha-am...forget it(sorry residents)but its dull.Hua Hin is quiet this time of year(more youger backpacker types,less sex tourists and golfers) but still has a half decent beach,stuff to do and look at and plenty of birds gaggin for it.No beach huts but plenty of nice guesthouses,some over the beach.

As far as Pattaya goes the words "out" and "chill" dont spring to mind.

Cheers Da Changsta.

Archived