Peeves

OK, in general, I love being in Thailand, but a few things continue to annoy me here on an almost daily basis:

1) Lack of tissue paper in toilets, washrooms and restaurants. Like is some prescious commodity or something!

2) Thais maxing out the A/C. Yeah, Thailand is a hot country, but why do so many drivers and business crank their A/C down to refrigerator temperatures?

3) Waiters that ignore my orders in Thai or English, and turn to my girlfriend everytime I say something.

4) Touts. No need to elaborate.

5) Getting overchanged because I'm a farang. Some restaurants are even so blantant as to have signs up that say "Thai People Price" (in thai of course).

Am I alone here?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Am I alone here?"

Hardly I think.

How about the fact that nobody seems to want to give way when driving, they all have to go first, even if that means blocking of 2 other lanes.

BTW, the reason there is never any toiletpaper is that it gets stolen. No joke.

Sanuk!

Ok.. It has to be mentioned!

Thai walking habits. This is my biggest peeve on a daily basis. They are totally oblivious to their surroundings when they walk. It makes it near impossible to execute a good passing manuever.

Let's also not fail to mention their propensity to stand two abreast on an escalator. A thai/western friend's of mine theory is that they have never had much luxury and therefore stand still and savour the experience (of the escalator) . But, my personal opinion is that they are just too lazy and also, again, rather oblivious of what/who is around them..

..back to you,

cheers

quote:

Thai walking habits. This is my biggest peeve on a daily basis. They are totally oblivious to their surroundings when they walk. It makes it near impossible to execute a good passing manuever.

I have absolutely no scientific evidence to substantiate the following theory but I’ll go with it anyway. As we go through childhood and then through our teenage years and into adulthood, we develop a ‘radar system’ or perhaps it could be referred to as ‘personal space’.

Personal space works for us when we are standing at a bus stop or waiting in a line. We instinctively know and feel uncomfortable when someone is standing too close to us, and we might shuffle a few steps to maintain a ‘safe’ distance between us and the space intruder. It’s funny how the radar system works. When someone wants to get past you in a narrow corridor, you don’t have to hear them, see them, or even smell them, but you instinctively know that there is a presence. What am I waffling on about here you’re probably wondering. Well, quite simply I think that Thais are born without it. How else can they not know you are there when you are quite literally breathing down their neck. How else can they ride a motorcycle onto the footpath and then proceed to block everyone’s way. How else can they hold hands with a friend, taking up the maximum width of the footpath and then walk at a snail’s pace as you cough or whistle to gain their attention. How else can they stand at the mouth of an escalator and have an in-depth conversation. How else can……………?

haha @ Phil ....... yes, if that theory stands correct, they don't have it. How could they??????

I'm thinking about investing in a cattle prod to give them an oblivious-lazy-walk/ pain association. Perhaps this will learn them and assist us all. laugh.gif" border="0

cheers,

back to you

Worldwalker,

1) Lack of tissue paper in toilets, easy one, first thing i do arriving Bangkok hotel is to take a roll of toilet paper from hong nam, put it in my little rucksack together with BKK map and dictionary. Very handy i you eat in foodstalls, especially when the som tam was to hot, you will have some left to wipe your ass.

3) Waiters that ignore my orders in Thai or English, and turn to my girlfriend everytime I say something.

Why otherwise do you have your gf with you? (they don't understand nor your thai nor your english anyway)

5) Getting overchanged because I'm a farang

This really pisses me off.

At Phu Kradung National Park entrance i saw this note "As of november 2000 foreign visitors will have to pay 200 baht entrance fee (for the preservation of nature or something like that) Thai price 20 baht.

I filed a complaint with TAT, they answerred they regretted the Royal Forestry Department decision to allow this to be asked at ANY national park. I've heard they claim 200 baht now at all national parks. I don't know, because last trip in may i stayed away from national parks

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

My biggest peeve, by far, is the tuk tuk drivers in Chiangmai. It annoys me no end that they honk at me and pull up beside me when they see me walking. Don't they think I'm capable of sticking my hand out and hailing a cab if I want one? I get this all the time because I walk miles a day.

And the fact that tuk tuks emit more pollution by far than any other type of vehicle in CM doesn't help matters either. Nor does the fact that they are insane drivers and only the suicidal should get in their vehicles.

bungie6 said:

"It annoys me no end that they honk at me and pull up beside me when they see me walking. Don't they think I'm capable of sticking my hand out and hailing a cab if I want one? I get this all the time because I walk miles a day."

Hmmmm..I also walk, perhaps not miles, but further than I would normally consider comfortble in Bangkok. This is partly due to the fact that I despise taxi drivers..

... It's a real insult (not to mention invasion of your privacy) to have taxi drivers and tuk tuks offering their lovely friendly services to you countless times a day. I mean, is it that difficult to hail a taxi if you need one? They just happen to make up about 70% of the traffic here in Bangkok!

They annoy the hell outa me. Do they think I'm stupid? or do they just not think?.... Also, I am not adverse to tipping if I had a pleasant driver but I hate it when they just ASSUME that your 5 baht change should remain with them. Often I play a little game; if they hand me ALL my change back I will happily tip them. If they hold back, or even hesitate in the slightest fashion, I will haggle for my last baht back..... turds!.....

I think I will clout the next driver who tells me he doesn't have change for a 100 baht note. If this is true, then they really must be poor at organising their jobs... Their job is to drive and collect money, and they do drive (except all the lazy pricks that sit outside the Imperial Park hotel hoping to 'โกง' one farang into making a fare that would give any decent cabby an honest days work) ..where were we? ..yes, they do drive and they do collect money all day so it should make perfect sense that they have change to give you.

Only if they could all be as nice and friendly as the 7 Eleven staff here smile.gif" border="0 I'm happy to shop at '7' rather than go to the depressing, grumpy and resentful little lady in the shop accros the street...

Ahh....will Thais ever learn? They only think a day ahead, and of the baht they can get out of us in the moment. Would it ever occur to a Thai that we might give them regular business if they had a different attitude? Is it possible for them to foresee us as anything other than a quick money source for their grubby little hands to clutch?

This topic is now far removed from the 'Sanuk' that is intended, but closely related at the same time. The BG attitudes that are often discussed on this forum are not limited to the bars. That is for sure.

p.s. btw, I actually love this country. smile.gif" border="0

cheers

back to you...

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Dan ]

Archived