Peeves

quote:

Originally posted by thalenoi:

Worldwalker,

5) Getting overchanged because I'm a farang

This really pisses me off.

At Phu Kradung National Park entrance i saw this note "As of november 2000 foreign visitors will have to pay 200 baht entrance fee (for the preservation of nature or something like that) Thai price 20 baht.

I filed a complaint with TAT, they answerred they regretted the Royal Forestry Department decision to allow this to be asked at ANY national park. I've heard they claim 200 baht now at all national parks. I don't know, because last trip in may i stayed away from national parks

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

Funny thing this...I was in Erawan park in Kanchanaburi this weekend. Yup the sign said 200 baht for Foreigners, 20 baht for Thai's,but when I said (in my very, very poor Thai)..I work in Thailand, how about giving me the local price... the person asked to see an ID, which I duely passed over (my work ID with photo position etc)..and after humming and hawing...agreed to charge me the 20 baht...

More interestingly this was the second time recently. The week before I had been up at Dreamworld (I think..up near Rangsit, the large open air amusement park), when getting the tickets (which are expensive by any standards) I was first asked if there was a Thai in my group (there was one), and then if I worked in Thailand (which I do). Again I was asked for some ID, and then was given the Thai price..for the whole group....

so it may well serve to ask (with a smile) if working here makes a difference, as to a large extent, it seems to be at the discretion of the person actually selling you the ticket (and having an official work ID does help...)...

-josh-

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, how about this one:

Every have a messenger come to your home to p/u or deliver something only to find out that what he's been asking your wife is how much rent you pay!!!

Another:

Want to really make yourself nuts? Try faxing to almost any small business. Invariably someone will pick up the fax phone and say, "Hello, hello, hello..." about twenty times or until you pick up and explain that you're trying to fax something. OK, attempt number two and you get the same thing, "Hello, hello, hello..." It will usually require a pretty important fax, for me to face this ordeal to begin with.

I've got more...later, Guido. laugh.gif" border="0

Great I'm not too late to say this in this thread:

Why don't we all just stay pretty at home then? wink.gif" border="0

(Except for the 200 baht entry at National Parks which I admit is a disgrace. Do you get in for the regular price with just a company card or was it an official tax ID card? I have a tax ID card but generally the people I take to parks don't. So if anything semi-official works then I'll just print some bullshit ID cards.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think Thais are great drivers except that 80% drives to slow, 10% are kinda allright and the remaining 10% drives like crazy. smile.gif" border="0

But overall they drive a lot safer and more considerate than I do. Especially letting me back in the queue after I just jumped 200 meters throught the gravel and motorcycle lane and cut in right in front of the traffic light. Amazing. If I tried that at home then things would get violent for sure.. :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

quote:

I think Thais are great drivers except that 80% drives to slow, 10% are kinda allright and the remaining 10% drives like crazy.

So can I just clear this up Chanchao me old son. You're saying that Thai drivers are ALL shit? Or if I want to question your mathematics I should........stay at home????

Something like that?

Yeah, what is it about driving Tuk Tuks that make them so annoying almost everywhere? Especially in BKK on anyplace with many farang - many are just looking for the sucker fare. A few days ago I had a Tuk Tuk driver refuse to go lower than 50B to take me 5 blocks. Nevermind I could wait a minute or so to hail an air conditioned cab for 35B (which I did).

Tuk Tuks give the illusion of better safety, but they're no better than motorcycle taxis - worse when you take into account tuk tuk driver bahavior. About a month ago in Ching Mai I saw a tuk tuk flipped over on it's side, winshield smashed all over, which reminded me of this fact.

Oh, and public phones! How many different kinds are there?? There are the plain old coin operated TTT phones, the TOT card phones, the PIN phones, and one other card type phone. Total mess. Really got to get a cell phone...

At least in Chiang Mai people renting out their cells for 3B/min are all over. Not sure why I don't see them much at all in BKK or Pattaya. Maybe it's just a worse economy up there.

quote:

Originally posted by bungie6:

My biggest peeve, by far, is the tuk tuk drivers in Chiangmai. It annoys me no end that they honk at me and pull up beside me when they see me walking. Don't they think I'm capable of sticking my hand out and hailing a cab if I want one? I get this all the time because I walk miles a day.

And the fact that tuk tuks emit more pollution by far than any other type of vehicle in CM doesn't help matters either. Nor does the fact that they are insane drivers and only the suicidal should get in their vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Chanchao:

Why don't we all just stay pretty at home then?
wink.gif" border="0

Cheers,

Chanchao

Easy! Cuz the pluses outweigh the minuses!

Not to mention I've got a bit long list of peeves about daily living in my home country, the US.

(recent example - most airlines completely rape you if you want to fly with only a few days notice or tack on fees if you want to change you plans. On all thai air carriers, tickets are always the same price right up to takeoff time, and are fully refundable... no BS)

Hi,

"More interestingly this was the second time recently. The week before I had been up at Dreamworld (I think..up near Rangsit, the large open air amusement park), when getting the tickets (which are expensive by any standards) I was first asked if there was a Thai in my group (there was one), and then if I worked in Thailand (which I do). Again I was asked for some ID, and then was given the Thai price..for the whole group...."

Strange. I was in Dreamworld last year, and do not remember double pricing (no mention on any of the signs, double checked with the wife).

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

Strange. I was in Dreamworld last year, and do not remember double pricing (no mention on any of the signs, double checked with the wife).

Sanuk!

HI Marcel

what can I say? This was last week, and the prices for the "multiple rides" tickets varied quite a lot..

-j-

quote:

Originally posted by Chanchao:

Why don't we all just stay pretty at home then?
wink.gif" border="0

(Except for the 200 baht entry at National Parks which I admit is a disgrace. Do you get in for the regular price with just a company card or was it an official tax ID card? I have a tax ID card but generally the people I take to parks don't. So if anything semi-official works then I'll just print some bullshit ID cards.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao

..I do have a tax ID, but normally give my company (Thai government) ID...

-j-

Archived