Peeves

Pet peeve:

Sometimes when waiting at the side of the road for a gap in the traffic to enable you to cross. The taxis and tuk tuks all swarm round you thinking they have a potential customer and blocking your path. The gap in the traffic passes and you missed your chance to cross.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regards the abilitiy to take up the whole sidewalk dawdling along at their own leisurly pace.

I usually count to 5 while making it blatantly obvious that I'm right behind them, if they haven't even attempted to get out of the way a little bit of a hip and shoulder usually gets the desired result.

Well, not really a hip and shoulder, but a decent barge through the middle or just a quick cut across their tracks and then slow down enough for them to get the picture.

Usually happens worst on Sukhimvit although most of the tourists are too bad.

quote:

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Pet peeve:

Sometimes when waiting at the side of the road for a gap in the traffic to enable you to cross. The taxis and tuk tuks all swarm round you thinking they have a potential customer and blocking your path. The gap in the traffic passes and you missed your chance to cross.

Exactly. That's the one that is going to get me damn well killed one day in Thailand...

-j-

What about when you're trying to choose a necktie in a department store and some faggoty nancyboy insists on showing you all the gay ties and cooing and purring "this one welly beautiful sir"?

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

What about when you're trying to choose a necktie in a department store and some faggoty nancyboy insists on showing you all the gay ties and cooing and purring "this one welly beautiful sir"?

Yeah, thats the same shirtlifter that after watching you look at some very tasteful conservative shirts will hold up a neon pink one and say " you like, you like??"

Roger.

What about people storming into the Skytrain without letting the passengers disembark first. I get especially upset when I see students behave like this, who after all are supposed to be the future "elite" of the country. Buffalo-riding peasants one and all!

I just squarely walk into them and push them aside, sometimes cursing them on top.

Originally posted by worldwalker:

[QB]OK, few things continue to annoy me here on an almost daily basis:

here are mine:

Number one problem to me on Sukhumvit is the Motorcycles. They ride on the sidewalk and sneak up behind you trying to get around you and scare the hell out of you when they finally do pass. Dont know why they won't honk lightly to let you know that they are there. Why should they be on the sidewalk in the first place?

Also whereever there are motorcycle taxis, they seem to like to block the sidewalk on the corner so that you have to dodge them as you walk from one side of the street to the other. Kinda dangerous if you are running against the traffic (as always seems to be the case) and their motorcycles have the pedestrian sidewalk blocked.

Finally, the damn disgusting polluting buses that are emitting almost solid pollutants into the area. I can't believe that they are capable of passing any sanctioned smog emission tests during their inspections...

Do pedestrians EVER have the right of way in this country. I have asked this of many Thais, and the response is usually the same "No, car is bigger". It will always iritate the hell out of me to be walking on the sidewalk and have a car pull out a driveway, oblivious to the fact that I am walking. Or worse yet, crossing the street, in the crosswalk, with the light and having cars damn near run you over making left turns. One of my friends had a naive young friend in town. He was crossing the middle of the street in a crosswalk and naturally expected that the cars would stop for him. WRONG, he was struck by a taxi and had broken limbs and ended up in the hospital. Did the taxi pay for his hospital bills? No, the taxi wanted (and received) payment for damage done to his car! TIT

Ranger

Originally posted by Ranger:

"He was crossing the middle of the street in a crosswalk and naturally expected that the cars would stop for him. WRONG, he was struck by a taxi and had broken limbs and ended up in the hospital. Did the taxi pay for his hospital bills? No, the taxi wanted (and received) payment for damage done to his car."

In Thailand might is right. Machiavelli would be mighty pleased with the country. Being seen walking means you have no money to drive or be driven, consequently you have a very low social status, and you get screwed for it! Try driving around in a Merc and see the difference ...

Logical thinking and a sense of justice are certainly not the Thais' forte.

Archived