Peeves

Incredible! 30 posts and no-one has mentioned my biggest peeve:-

The sheer number of bloody taxis. I know space is at a premium so taxi ranks are not an option in most areas but there are far too many taxis plying their trade in BKK. driving up and down looking for fares.

I sit in my GF's car and count the number of empty taxis, it's getting to be compulsive behaviour. My "record" is 16 !!!!!!!(sixteen) ...count it again, sixteen empty bloody taxis. Some of the stataticians on this board (are you reading this DB-sez-aloha?) should work out how many miles of road could be freed-up by cutting the number of taxis in half.

By-products of this action would be, less accidents, better air quality, reduced journey times..... need I go on?

The down side is as far as I can see unemployment of displaced northern farmers, and the "mechanics" that maintain the Toyotas. You may have to wait 18 seconds for a cab instead of 9.

There, I feel better now.......... 1-2-3-4....

look a taxi with a fare paying passenger!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by coquetislander:

"Incredible! 30 posts and no-one has mentioned my biggest peeve:- The sheer number of bloody taxis."

One man's hell is another man's bliss! As a stone age fossil without a driving license, but one who needs to go to a lot of places every day, I just love the 90,000 taxis which are currently plying Bangkok's streets.

In the "good old days" before the economic crash, there were no way near enough taxis, and the drivers used to be snotty - "You want to go to Sukhumvit? No meter - 250 Baht!"

Now they scramble to get customers, they always switch on the meter(at least with passengers who speak Thai), and the majority are very friendly.

No peeve for me - there's nothing like seeing that lit-up red sign in the taxi which signals "Vacant".

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Scum

Be honest what is the longest time you have waited for a taxi?

Also if there were only 40-50,000 taxis wouldn't the roads be that much more "safe" and less clogged up?

"Be honest what is the longest time you have waited for a taxi?"

15 minutes, and then only on a Friday afternoon (around 5 p.m.) and during the first week of the month when many people can still afford taxis. Otherwise 10 seconds to 3 minutes.

"Also if there were only 40-50,000 taxis wouldn't the roads be that much more "safe" and less clogged up?"

In a city with 2 million vehicles (incl. motorbikes) 50,000 less wouldn't make much difference, would they? As for safety, I find the taxi drivers much better than the average private person behind the wheel.

But speaking of getting things off the road, or peeves: I wouldn't shed a tear if all those darned, smoke-belching and noisy tuk-tuks were gone overnight!

Originally posted by tanha:

"excess taxis in bkk is a big time plus- try getting a taxi in singapore in the rain"

True. I've occasionally waited 1 1/2 hours, during afternoon rush hour in the rain. The only upside compared to Bangkok are the numerous taxi stands. Smoking prohibited if there are more than 3 persons in the queue!

quote:

Scum

Be honest what is the longest time you have waited for a taxi?

Sometimes you have to try 3 or 4 taxis before you find one who will take you to your desired destination. I had to check 4 taxis before I found one to take me to Suk. Soi 69.

I thought there is over a 1000000 vehicles in BKK. Then 50000 fewer would not be noticed.

A twist to the Taxi Angle.

The one that realy peeves me is trying to get a Taxi to take me home from Say Panthip on a friday evening when it is raining.

Since I live out past Phra Khanong no taxi driver wants to know, all they want is the 35 Baht here, 35 Baht there short hops. Even trying to get over to Sukhumvit to get the BTS is neigh on impossible frown.gif" border="0

Originally posted by Mekong:

"The one that realy peeves me is trying to get a Taxi to take me home from Say Panthip on a friday evening when it is raining."

Yes, that's because they know they can get plenty of customers on a Friday eve, and especially when it rains. Some get real cocky then.

Imagine what would happen if the economy improved and they could always pick and chose customers at will!

But then this won't happen in a very long time ...

I am a bit surprise that on this board and on the old Delphi board, I never saw a peeves about about all the Hindu people on the sidewalk that block you way and want to give you a handshake and when you give back they don't to let you go and they try to sell you a tailor suit. If I past every day at the same place on Sukhumvit they try it every time. They are also part of the tuk tuk scam, now they don't only give gaz ticket but also lottery ticket to the driver. It's not a racist comment but a reality in every city that tourist go.

Archived