No smoking in Bangkok as of 1st August

Yehtmae

A little piece of new city legislation will come into effect this week.

"All air conditioned restaurants, bars and government buildings will be 100% non smoking areas."

Big deal, you may think. Probably this will get enforced like most other laws in Thailand.

However, this law is a city ordanance and is to be enforced by the city police, yes those friendly chaps also responsible for the 'no-littering' enforcement.

AND......... the fine will be 2,000 Baht.

AND......... the fine will be levied on the owner of the establishment.

AND......... also levied on each smoker caught!

Now we all know how fairly and impartially the 'no-littering' law was enforced..... Let the fun begin!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a large proportion of second-hand smoke involuntarily inhaled by non-smokers in public places has entered the smoker's body and then passed out, a truer analogy would be for your wine-quaffing friend to piss in the smoker's mouth. tongue.gifblush.giftongue.gif

I'd pay good money to watch that scenario (especially if the 'friend' was a BG). smile.gif

In fact, as a smoker myself, I'd probably volunteer to be on the receiving end of the spray (if the BG was a cracker, and I was drunk). laugh.gif

jack wink.gif

OMG, I must be dreaming. I also checked and it is not April 1st. That would be great!!! I honestly never thought such a law in LOS would come to pass in my lifetime. Does anyone realistically think any GG bar would enforce this? I mean not only do the majority of customers seem to smoke (GG bars, drinking, and smoking seem to go together a lot), but it also seems more and more waitresses, mamasans, and girls are lighting up as well these days. I have a really hard time envisioning 3 days from now entering cowboy/NEP/pong and the air inside is clear. I swear if this happens it will prompt the only time in my life that I will ring the bell.

I find smoking totally undesirable. Smoke when I am trying to eat is bad (90% of taste is from the smell), but worse is my clothes and hair get permeated with the stuff within minutes of starting my night. I forget about it as the night wears, but it is kind of like entering a really cold pool for a while.

I was skeptical whether they could pull this law off at bars in California, but surprisingly, they did. So for Bangkok, maybe there is a chance. Whether they want to remains to be seen; maybe just a cosmetic law that is ignored.

""Yep, as a non-smoker I'm all in favour of it! :-)

Worse !!! I'm and ex-smoker, 2 packs a day for 26 years nonstop..........but quit 20 months ago and feel better !

That being said, I dont mind smoking in my presence, but not at my house, or in the car, or worse in a hotel room where I need to sleep in........

Also coming back from a "smoky" place, clothes go out to be aired, and I desperately need a shower.......

I do bridge a lot, it seems that smoking and bridge go hand in hand, but since last year our club is smoke-free, and actually we doubled the amount of players since then smile.gif !

Cheers !

Probably take a while for it to really go into effect.

However I am hopefull that it will get enforced, remember it will be the smokers who get fined as well as the bars. Also the cops doing the inspections will not be the local precinct ones, but the city ones.

Escape Rabbit

smile.gif

Don't get too excited. Remember, prositution is against the law in Thailand, also. It will be enforced to the same exstent. It will be a tool that can be used when nessesary. And any bar that adheres to it, can kiss all their Japanese customers goodbye, along with many others. If it's enforced, the beerbars will see an instant influx of business, with Go-go's hitting red ink. I think it's Thailand just conforming to the rest of the world, to show progress, but can't see this as a reality in entertainment areas. No way.... I can see it enforced in other area's, but not in NEP, SC, etc.

I could be wrong, but doubt it, in this case. I'll guess we'll see soon enough.

HT

Archived