No smoking in Bangkok as of 1st August

Yehtmae

fuck 'em.

i keep on smoking. if the owner of some establishment wants to stick to that ridiculous rule he won't be seeing me in there anymore.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few years ago i was actually rather happy to be german.

they wanted to pass a legislation similar to the ones in california or france. but when even most non-smoker groups slammed it as intrusion into the privacy carried way too far, that proposed legislation died a fast death.

what will be the next thing? no alcohol in bangkok?

you know, burbs of inebriated drinkers might harm the health of our abstinent friends.

funny effect of all those legislations...since they started that war on drugs here i have seen more hard drugs around bangkok than ever before. people just don't go out anymore and get pissed and laid, they seem to prefer to hang out in their apartments now and get fucked up on hard drugs.

no fun going to parties anymore. before people were drunk, some did a bit of spliff, now you enter and everybody is on e, coke or smoking jaa maa.

i just can't believe anymore the amount of drugs around here.

frown.gif

It is ridiculous.

If they start fining tourists in bars for smoking, then Thailand may as well just tell tourists to f-Off and then hand over a substantial part of their economy to the neighbouring countries - it would save everybody a lot of time and hassle created through misunderstandings.

If they start fining bar owners, then the bar owners may as well put a sign on the door up saying 'smokers please f-Off'. Following the drop in revenue many of the bars will shut and following the decline in numbers of bars things will get critical. Tourists will get bored and fed up of Thailand's declining number of entertainment venues, draconian smoking laws and 'please stop drinking at 2 o'clock' attitude and visit the neighbouring countries who clearly want tourists and their dollars.

So, whats the end result if this stupid law is actually enforced?

Tourists, Expat Residents, Thai business people, government coffers, employment statistics and the Thai economy in general - 0

Malayasia, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines and just everywhere else in the world that is a tourist destination - 1

One has to wonder if some people in this government are on the payroll of the Cambodian and Phillipino tourist boards....

Quite right too, an enlightened move which I hope they do enforce in bars. There are some places I avoid altogether due to this filthy, unhealthy habit, longun is one such place and thermae can get a bit smokey as well. If people have to indulge in this sad addiction why do they think they should have the freedom to inflict it on the rest of us, the fine should be larger!-peter

Archived