No smoking in Bangkok as of 1st August

Yehtmae

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Globally, smoking-related diseases kill more than 70 million people EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR. Smoking makes AIDS look like a mild case of the sniffles. Smokers make "bareback riders" look like cautious fellows"

Me thinks you got a point here.

"No smoking indoors at public places is a good idea and about time. What's this got to do with Chevy's?"

4 litre Chevy's and other motor vehicles contribute thousands and thousands times more health endangering carcinogenic pollutants to the atmosphere than cigarettes.

>"Globally, smoking-related diseases kill more than 70 million people EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR. Smoking makes AIDS look like a mild case of the sniffles. Smokers make "bareback riders" look like cautious fellows" <

not really, as smoking related deseases kill mainly the elderly, while AIDS kills the most productive parts of the population in the poorest countries and will bring many areas in africa to complete collapse. even conservative studies indicate that within the next few years some areas there will be completely ungovernable because of AIDS unless some very fast measures are taken by the international community. that will have much wider effects than the number of deaths through that desease.

i don't think that smoking related deseases will have that effect, at least i am not aware of any study supporting that smoking related deseases will lead to widespread chaos.

deseases related to an overly fat diet in the rich countries most definately will also lead to a higher number of deaths than AIDS, but i have not heard so far that this fact will bring anarchy into the most affected countries.

yeah, smoking kills many people every year, so do cars, so does old age. but AIDS kills mainly people in their most productive years in the age group from 20 to 40. that is devastating for any highly affected society in one of the countries with an infection rate of 30 percent.

Why are some Americans such puritanical "I'm holier than thou" hysterical hypocrites about smoking and the "threat" it poses to innocent bystanders?

I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. People are allowed to make their own decision whether to smoke or not (quite amazing really; if alcohol, cigarettes, or circumcision were invented today, I would bet they would be made illegal across the globe instantly with huge sentences to lock people up who infringe). Basically, the ones who choose not to smoke don't want to be inhaling smoke from the ones that do for health and/or cosmetic reasons. Kind of like noise pollution. Instead of people walking around with blaring boom boxes everywhere they go, they use walkmen with earplugs so they can enjoy their tunes and others don't have to. This law is not unlike alcohol laws in a sense either; anyone of age can get drunk as they want pretty much anywhere except behind the wheel. This type smoking law seems to be viewed by smokers as a conspiracy to tell them how to run their lives and by non-smokers as consideration for them and I don't think that is going to change. But are there more important things to be dealing with? Probably. The real hypocracy is excluding night life places from the law. Either there are no true health reasons behind it or no one cares about about the people frequenting such places.

Contrast this type law to the stupid laws like so called "sin taxes" to ratchet up the price of alcohol and cigarettes. That is definitely people trying to enforce their belifes on others.

I'll put my cigarette out when America stops driving polluting 4 litre Chevy's

Umm, they used to be 7 liters, so you should cut back wink.gif

only problem with your argumentation is, that if i would like to open a restaurant and keep it a smoking restaurant, these kind of laws forbid me to do so. i would not want to force any non-smoker into my restaurant, if they don't like my policy they just should stay away, as well as i have the right to stay away from a nonsmoking place if i don't agree with that policy.

but why does the government and anti smoking lobbies have the right to tell me what i should allow in my restaurant? it is my place not anyone else's.

Contrast this type law to the stupid laws like so called "sin taxes" to ratchet up the price of alcohol and cigarettes. That is definitely people trying to enforce their belifes on others.

Sorta. I don't know about other countries, but in the States there is such vociferous opposition to taxes that politicians need to find some way to raise revenue. Cigarettes are an easy target, particularly since they are known to kill.

Similarly, many States have gone berserk with lotteries to raise revenue. Lotteries are really just hidden taxes (primarily on the poor). Easy target.

I'm a smoker, but I would gladly pay more tax on cigs if it meant that income taxes would decrease. Yes, I know -- fat chance, fella.

Archived