GSM coverage in Isaan

ALHOLK

I'm trying to reach a mobile that should be somewhere in the vicinity of Udon Thani (probably not in the city). All I get is a callback service that speaks Thai and then says - "for English press 1". When I press 1 on my phone they say - "Thank you for your call" and disconnect.

Does anyone know if the GSM coverage is poor in the area?

Also if anyone knows why the callback service doesn't work with English I would like to know.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The message is in Thai which I don't understand enough of. It is concluded with a voice saying in English - "Press one for English". When I press one on my Swedish phone I'm disconnected.

In the old days when the phones were pulse coded one had to consider how the digits were placed on the dial. E.g Swedish dials started with zero while American dials started with one I think. However I was under the impression that the tone codes used today are an international standard. Maybe this isn't correct.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi!

No, Thai numbers I can manage reasonably well but thank you anyway. Maybe if I can memorize the message and try to translitterate it to english someone can make a guess at what they are sayng.

regards

ALHOLK

"Somewhere in the vicinity of Udon Thani (probably not in the city). Does anyone know if the GSM coverage is poor in the area?"

If it is in rural Udon T, I think your problems may stem from the fact that GSM coverage is worse than poor i.e. verging on non-existant!

Archived