cambodia announcement on cnn

on friday i saw a banner on cnn that said 'cambodian government announces special police will be assigned to popular spots to snag foriegn visitors attracted by country's reputation for 'sex tourism'.'

anyone else hear anything about this?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope i won't only be restricted to places frequented by foreigners, the same goes on in any brothel village in any town there. it is not gonna be easy in places like kin svay, which is owned by some very high level government officials and army guys.

but it might be a start.

Yes this is getting a lot of publicity in OZ at the moment after the arrest of the two Australians last week.

This new story is in this Saturdays West Australian newspaper. They are going to place 70 specially trained policemen in all the Western hotels guesthouses and bars to 'capture' all foreign men in Cambodia for sex. They want to 'root out all the foreign men lured by its reputation as a haven for perverts and paedophiles'. 'The police have the sole remit to stamp out sex tourism completely'

However it does not say anything about the local people so presumably if u live there you will be OK...............

Uniformguy

These news came up from time to time and will come up from time to time. As far as I understand, they are seeking for pedos, not for the average punter. This is good, as it will improve the reputation of this country. It will also help the average punters.

At a glance, I would not be too concerned. Cambodia is very good and I hope it will stay this way for a long long time smile.gif

There have been crack downs in Thailand and in Cambodia before. The effect was low. Everything is up and running as before.

Cambodia is still on my itinerary. I will check Penhball for up to date info too. Time will show, but I am still not concerned.

I made some enquiries and it's business as usual out in Cambodia although it will be a real concern if any crackdown starts nailing adults who like to 'pay for play' with adults as well as the fucked up perverts.

I've got a few points to throw into the mix.

Firstly, don't forget the money that k11 generates for police and civil service. Much as I'd like to see this place closed down its unlikely given the money that flows up through the food chain from there.

Secondly, the Ausssies in Siem Riep are not being busted for anything that happened at a brothel village, nightclub or massage parlour. They hired very young girls as 'cleaners' for their apartment and then sexually abused them. This sort of thing is unrelated to the 'sex industry' and could happen anywhere in SEA. It's not so different from the Rosser case in Thailand. ie its a breach of trust

Thirdly its certainly true that the Cambodian Govt are having a determined clampdown on the perverts who go to the Kingdom with the intention of abusing kids. At the moment there seems to be a new case every week compared to one or two case a year back in the late 90's. This is a welcome development. Don't forget though that Cambodia is still a deeply corrupt place. The Frenchman who was up on child sex charges in Sihanoukville last week was aquitted and walked free.....at a rumoured cost of $20k.

Finally its true that more and more Westerners generally are coming to Cambodia these days and a proportion of these tourists are Western guys wanting to get laid.

Neverthless don't believe anybody who says that 'sex tourists' are sustaining the sex industry in Cambodia. They are a tiny percentage of the customers and the tip of the iceberg. The vast majority of customers are Cambodian men, similarly the vast majority of child abusing tourists are men from other countries in Asia...Chinese, Koreans, Japanese.

I'd hate to see this develop into a major crackdown targetted at adults who go to Cambodia for adult fun...but if it convinces a few sickos to stay at home then that will be a good thing.

Archived