What happened to Cleo Odzer

Back when the only info on Thai nightlife on the net was the colelction of trip reports at the World Sex Guide, I happened to come across Patpong Sisters by Cleo Odzer. Sure, she mnight have gone on and on about her love affair with that plonker tout - but there was also some very good info in there and one was able to get more than a fair idea about how the scene worked. I just put the love affair to the side and found the scene as she described it quite fasinating.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, whod'a thunk it? "Cleo Odzer died" in Google.

I tried Google, Hotbot, Lycos, Copernic and couldn't find anything. I used "Dr. Cleo Odzer," "Dr. Cleo Odzer obituary," "Dr. Cleo Odzer death" but not "Cleo Odzer died."

Damned search engines! Why won't they bring up what we want instead of what we ask for? laugh.gif" border="0

Anyway, that really sucks. She was much too young.

PhordPhan

Internet klutz, bon vivant and

all-around nice guy.

cool.gif" border="0

Hi

I got to know Cleo thru her posts in the Compuserve Travel Forum and there it was too where I heard about the death but no one could give me some more infos

but anyway thanks to all for your effords

greetings

cool.gif" border="0 TSDOUBLE2 cool.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

...I happened to come across Patpong Sisters by Cleo Odzer...there was also some very good info in there and one was able to get more than a fair idea about how the scene worked...found the scene as she described it quite fasinating.

Yes, I must admit I quite liked Patpong Sisters by Cleo Odzer too. It was an interesting perspective to have the scene described by woman. Some funny stories in it too.

Phordphan wrote:

You piqued my interest. I, too, purchased the book and was very disappointed. It had some interesting insights but there was far too much mooning over stupid sh*t. It appears that whatever college issued her PhD will issue one to anybody.

--------------------------------

Well, when we hang out with a thai girl, there is indeed far too much mooning over stupid shit. I still recommend the book for getting ever so slightly inside the mind of a working girl or get a feel of the scene, and we can all relate to such farang behaviour as she describes. The book gets rambling after 100 pages but affairs with bgs tend also to repeat themselves overtime, and the sex scene is a rambling one, no? so should we blame her. I sometimes wonder if the guys who dislike "inside the scene" books are not a little jealous she published it first , not them (and a chick,on top!). Sorry she died, a friend wanted to buy the rights to her book to make a movie.

Patpong sisters was interesting to read. It would have been even better without the somewhat lengthy description of her love affair with the Patpong tout, but no book is perfect.

The reason why the link as given by Scum_baggio does not work is that the Web browser thinks that the final period belongs to the address. Just remove it and the link works.

quote:

Originally posted by PhordPhan:

I did object to the sappy stories of her "love affair" with that street hustler. It seemed way off topic, the book ostensibly being about bg's and the industry as a whole, not the Life and Loves of Dr. O.

Well, I actually LIKED those parts because she showed that it was equally possible for a woman to get sucked into the scene if she scratched at the surface and put herself into situations which she had no experience of. Just like so many men visiting here, especially then, before the availability of all the info we have on the internet which, of course prevents anybody from ever making the same kinds of mistakes again! (not!!)

Ultimately, I thought it was interesting to read things from a woman's perspective, who wasn't just slagging the blokes off, and who could see all the benefits which working in bars provided for the girls - though she was a bit light on the negative aspects.

LG

LG

Long Gun:>Well, I actually LIKED those parts because she showed that it was equally possible for a woman to get sucked into the scene if she scratched at the surface and put herself into situations which she had no experience of. <

I agree with your ( and Stickman's) view n her book. am trying to encourage my Mia Leuang to read the book. Wouldn't have wanted her to a while ago, but I think now it may be useful.

I myself am still mystifies and mildly confused about teh power of teh LOS experience, she obviously was, too.

I could probably write an equally self-obsessed rave about my experiences. mayeb I should, for reasons of self therapy, rather than thinking ayone would want to read it.

Thanks to all those who got me to the site about Cleo. In her book she thanks Barney Rosset. Barney hadn't realized she had died.

He is the man who started Evergreen Review, founded Grove Press, Blue Moon Books, and fought the legal battles so that we in the States could have access to Henry Miller, William Burroughs and just about every writer of that type you can name. Barney has visited Thailand, is crazy about Thai and Korean women and I think dreams of leaving NY's East Village for Thailand one day. For better or worse, he is the one who got my erotic novel published with Blue Moon Books. Many writers have a lot to thank him for. Cleo was one.

Cheers!

Archived