what is face?

legover

>I would lose face and you'd be considered an impolite farang bastard.

No thanks.<

exactly.

and as i am actually from a very upper class background, being considered an impolite farang bastard would make me lose face in turn, which would then force me to make them lose face, etc...

my point basically is that face and the correct use of thai according to the different cocial settings can go hand in hand.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which actally reminds me of a very funny occasion. i was at a dinner given by some newly rich here, absolute snobs. they of course saw straight away that my missus was upcountry, and treated me like a farang lowlife bastard and her worse than their little poodle. i got more and more annoyed, until someone who knew me better told the fucks about a relative of mine, who was living at that time in bangkok, was playing golf with the highest generals and politicians, had several audiences with the king.

you should have seen their faces shatter to pieces! i still cherish that sight. smile.gif

These are immortal words! Face is all about what Ann Rand calls second-handers.

Second-handers are people who derive their sense of value and, ultimately, happiness, from others. Others' opinions, their approval, their admiration. Howard Roark, the main hero of Fountainhead, is an example of an opposite of a second-hander. Roark is an excellent architect. But he is ridiculed and lives in poverty, taking menial jobs rather than compromise his values. He doesn't care what others think about him, about his life, about his work. His own values and his integrity, rather than others and their opinions, are the source of his happiness.

Although these words have the ring of truth too it, I still think everybody yearns for recognition and if not recognition, nobody likes to get caught with their pants down, because they lose their dignity. I guess nobody escapes the concept of face.

There are so many people who have been succesfull and accomplished in their own field, but long to be admired for that, otherwise their succes is not complete...

Cheers,

soongmak

>you make it sound like you are the ugly duckling of the family<

i actually was considered that, until recently when the good boy of the family turned out to be a real black sheep. that made them reconsider. i may be a bit strange, but i don't harm anyone. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

>>and as i am actually from a very upper class background, being considered an impolite farang bastard would make me lose face in turn<<<

Not necessarily, depends on how you normally behave amongst this crowd. The person taking you along and the host would lose face though, by having been stupid enough to invite you.

Archived