losing face, how do U get it back?

pattaya127

Guest lazyphil

[color:red] I am a Theravada Buddistcolor=red> and I have not heard of such a teaching. Maybe from other sects?

How did you go about this?

What was your religion before you converted? (if you don't mind me asking?)

Has it changed your life much?

BTW, if I was to follow any religion, this would be the one.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buddha image was first build in the reign of King Ashoka whom influenced by the Roman ( how they loved building statue !)

--------------------------

If i may comment, the earliest buddhist monuments were indeed built during the Mauya period/dinasty, under the impulse of Ashoke (3rd century BCE), but not the first Buddha images, as these first buddhist structures and steles showed the Buddha in anaconic fashion, namely symbolised by a tree or other symbols like the wheel. Real representations of the Buddha came somewhat later, in the Kushan period, and you are right, scholars pretty much agree that they display roman influence, and indian ones of course. The romans may even have influenced the fact that he became aconic, and represented as any other King. I think that the oldest Buddha image extant dates from the 2nd century C.E, actually a Boddhisatva, but definitely the blueprint for future Buddha imagery. there probably was earlier examples, but the evolution from anaconic to aconic took place much after Ashoke's life.

Archived