Anything to stop farangs working as pavement vendors

If your work visa stated pavement vendor in front of Royal Plaza no problem, I have a feeling that it doesn't so a problem.

Buy the goods and have a Thai sell them for you is a better alternative. You sit in the background taking the money.

quote:

Originally posted by Westpoint:

[QB]

Is there anything to stop a farang setting up there as well.[QB]

Uhmmm..well, the Police spring to mind...little tiny things like "work permits" and "reserved occupations" may prove stumbling blocks...

-j-

Your idea must have crossed the minds of thousands of falang before you. I found an internet post last year of a guy who was arrested for working on a street stall, somewhere near Hat Yai, with his thai girlfriend.If he'd done it sensibly it would have probably worked. Be an unseen, silent partner. Let her be the sole public front.

In Khao San Rd I have sometimes seen farang selling things from street stalls, but it is rare.

In the grounds of the Wat at the end of Khao San Rd however, I have for a number of years seen a Frenchman selling second hand books from his stall. The Wat is located right opposite the police station. When I asked him if he was worried about the police busting him (no work permit), he replied with a typical Gallic shrug that the police have too many other things to deal with and don't bother him.

Still, wouldn't like to risk something like that myself.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

"Anything to stop farangs working as pavement vendors"

Pride? not that street vending is a dishonerable way to make a living, but i think most of us here have other, more profitable and easy ways to pay the bills.

-soi dog.

All

A hobby of mine is growing orchids, when I get surplus plants (easy in this climate) I sell them off at a stall in Kanchanaburi.

Customers are mostly Thai because of import restrictions to falang countries.

First time I did it I was nervous of the boys in brown. No need to worry, one of them turned out to be a fellow enthusiast and bought some from me...... I tried to "give" them to him but he insisted on paying. At the end of the day he took me and my GF to see his own collection.

I took a stall at Kasetsart University fair this year too, again no problems.

I probably wouldn't do it at Wat Phra Khaew/Grand Palace though!!!!

Archived