Pub Quizzes?

All

Does anyone know of any decent pub quizzes in BKK. Somewhere not too "raunchy" so I can take my non-BG GF.

I know about the Bulls Head quiz, just wondered if there were any more.

For the puzzled:- A pub quiz is a peculiar British thing that we do to justify sitting in pubs and drinking beer.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pub Quizzes - A Guide for Non Brits.

A pub quiz is a thinly disguised excuse to knock back a few beers while having some fun.

The format is variable but a typical quiz will have upwards of 4 teams (silly names optional) and a number of rounds. The house normally puts up some sort of prize (a bottle or a round of drinks for the winning team)

There is a quiz master (usually amplified), who asks the Qs and they take the form of rounds. For instance sport, general knowledge, geography, music. There may be some sort of more difficult question at the end. One example of this might be 5 statements about a personality from history. 10 points are available if identified from the first statement, down to 2 points if it takes all five statements.

Some quizzes have music played in the music round others are just Qs. Yet others have picture rounds etc.

They are normally held on a night during the week when the pub would be otherwise quiet, in the hope of generating more custom for the bar.

They are very popular in the UK and I miss them in LOS.

The Bull's Head quiz is actually a very good, well-organised tournament and the groups of four take it very seriously.

I go there with a guy who was in a professional quiz league in England and we won it about 4 times running. I didn't go to the last one but he was on the winning team again.

The Londoner pub apparently now has one on a Thursday as well but I'm not sure how many times a month.

Thanks Phil

Does anyone know the pattern of Thursdays for the Londoner quiz?

Also the Bull's Head, held on a Tuesday I recall but again, is it second in the month or something, anyone know?

Finally who would like to form a team at one or both of these quizzes?

I used to net the prize about 50% of the time at my local quiz in the UK. It very much depends on the format and degree of difficulty but it can be a good night out if not taken too seriously. I'm sure some boardmembers would find it an interesting "alternative" prelude to a night of sanuk. ....... Let me know?

The Bull's Head Quiz is on the second Tuesday of every month - starts at 8pm.

There are usually about 10 teams of 4.

3 Rounds of 25 general knowledge questions including a celebrity picture round and a music round. There are also 'table' questions which any team can win and get spot prizes (usually bottles of beer or baseball caps or T-shirts) Questions such as 'how many butcher's shops are there in the UK?' - closest to the correct number gets the prize. We usually have about 5 table questions in a night.

Standard of questions

Who founded the salvation army?

Who sang the theme to the Bond film 'Tomorrow never Dies?

Which is Thailands least populated province?

Where were the 1984 Olympics?

That sort of thing.

quote:

Originally posted by Mekong:

Warblers on Suk Soi 4 has a weekly Pub quiz on Friday 9.pm (or is it hunters? one of santos' bars)

Prize of 600 Baht of Carlsberg (usually negotiable to another brew) to the winners

Definitely Hunters, Warbler is too busy, but I'm sure it's not a Friday. As CI said, they tend to be held on a night when there wouldn't normally be any punters around. I haven't been but saw a flyer somewhere.

How about a board team or two in one quiz or another? I would be interested (though I would have to look up question 3!).

LG

This sounds like the closed circuit TV trivia game we used to play at Hooters several years ago. All the players would have a remote that you put in the answers. Got points for being the fastest. Was a lot of fun (for a US bar anyway.)

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: THAIHOME ]

Archived