"FARANG"

pattaya127

Thanks, bahnawk! I will keep your post as a reference. Over the years, I have grown tired of hearing this word, just the sheer repetitiousness of it, I guess. I wish we'd hear them say "this gentleman/lady/person" more often? It's not like we white guys popped out in the thai landscape a few years ago.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If some Thai calls me farang directly, like "hello farang, you need taxi?" It pisses me off. My name isn't f'ng farang. That would be like me going up to some Asian guy and saying "Hey, Asian, what do you want?" It's just ignorant. Why not sat "Hey you" or "poo-chai" or "khun?" If I don't know someone I'll say "hey man" or "Hey bud." Something I hope comes off as friendly. "

Firstly, they didn't know your name ! Secondly, they didn't know you understand Thai so they didn't use the words poo-chai and Khun ! Thirdly, They don't know enough English to differenciate the words and effects they have on your nerve wink.gif That's why they don't use the words 'hey man' or 'Hey bud.'

pattaya127 wrote:

"Over the years, I have grown tired of hearing this word, just the sheer repetitiousness of it, I guess. I wish we'd hear them say "this gentleman/lady/person" more often? It's not like we white guys popped out in the thai landscape a few years ago."

I think it's the Thai language issue. They normally don't refer to the third person as 'this gentleman/lady/person' though some do. My gf uses the word 'peun ' (à¾×èù meaning friend) to shopkeepers to refer to me. Sometimes she uses 'khun kon nii' (¤Ø³¤¹¹Õé meaning this person). This kind of language is used by a more culturely sensitive Thai persons. I find it more in middle class people I've encountered with. Not from the taxi or shop keeper people on the street where they shout to us Farang to get our attention (and our nerves) all the time !

Guest lazyphil

That's why they don't use the words 'hey man' or 'Hey bud.'

Do you really think brink15 was suggesting a Thai should speak this?? Are being deliberately dense or what?

Guest lazyphil

This kind of language is used by a more culturely sensitive Thai persons. I find it more in middle class people I've encountered with. Not from the taxi or shop keeper people on the street where they shout to us Farang to get our attention

You really are a pompous SNOB. Who the F**K do you think you are saying this?

I think Ό (fan) literly means "beloved" so it could relate to a wife or husband I suppose. I think Farang literly means any foriegner. The word for French is Franagse ½ÃÑè§àÈÊ (sp?). I have been told It is not intended as an insult, however, I have heard a nasty tone attatched to it. I have been in several situations where people are using this word, then somewhat embarrassed or guarded, ask me if I speak Thai, if I answer them in Thai, they get a bit of a worried or embarrassed look sometimes, which leads me to believe they are maybe not saying such nice things....

"You really are a pompous SNOB. Who the F**K do you think you are saying this? "

It's my observation, that's all.

You should realise that this thread is about language and it is obviously related to how much Thais are English literate. Since most of them are limited in English ,so the limited choice of words.

You should know more than me.

'fan' is indeed an English word although it's usage has developed to mean something unique from English.

'falang' is not used for all foreigners just those of obvious European ancsestry.

Incidentially the polite phrase for foreigner is ¤¹´èÒ§ªÒµÔ (knon darng chart) so if 'falang' gets up your nose just remind them that you're a ¤¹´èÒ§ªÒµÔ

BkkSaggy

your GF is saying ¤¹¤¹¹Õé (kon kon nee) not ¤Ø³¤¹¹Õé (khun kon nee)

"your GF is saying ¤¹¤¹¹Õé (kon kon nee) not ¤Ø³¤¹¹Õé (khun kon nee) "

I'm sure she said ¤Ø³¤¹¹Õé. But my translation in the previous post might not exactly correct.

She chose this word because it is more polite. That's what she told me anyway.

Archived