"FARANG"

pattaya127

I think we're getting confused in the discussion here. If I'm reading into it correctly, the original poster is talking about his girlfriend referring to him in Thai.

The word farang in and of itself simply means 'foreigner' and doesn't really have a bad connotation (unlike how the similar word 'gaijin' in Japan used to due to its use).

But the question, which I've thought about before, is what one would think if you are referred to in the third person as 'the foreigner' by someone you know well. As in 'farang bok wa khao mai yak suu an ni' (the foreigner said he didn't want to buy this thing- sorry, no Thai fonts) instead of using the person's name or friend or even 'this person'.

When I hear someone being referred to as 'the farang' in third person the feeling is like the person is suddenly an outsider as Pattaya127 brought up.

I'll try to remember to ask some of my Thai friends to see what they say. I bet they'll say it's no big deal, no maliciousness at all, but I wonder if that speaks more for unintentional eloquation of the farang's outside status rather than their intention to speak well or badly.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I admit that I don't like the term "farang" used, especially in the States. When I speak Thai, I use the word "Khon Americans".

"The word for French is Franagse ½ÃÑè§àÈÊ (sp?). I have been told It is not intended as an insult, however, I have heard a nasty tone attatched to it."

I was told that it derived from "Francais". I don't think it is an insult every time, depending on the way it is used.

Another reason is, some Thais do not call the foriegners by their names because the names can be difficult to prononce. There were 2 British teachers who used to visit my brother a lot during the time they taught in that town, my mother talked to them, fed them but could not prononce thier names, Carl and Steve, she actually called them "Farang Nung/Farang Song" and there was no insult. You have got to hear how my mother prononces my husband's name!laugh.gif

Cheers!

" know of people in the UK that would refer to any asian looking person as being from chinese origin, could be the same thing in reverse (ignorance would be the reason for that one).

It happens quite a bit in the States too, however I have noticed that it is getting better in work environment.

By the way, your post name, I am not from Isaan but tried to learn the language at one time, it is not nasty. The Isaan language is quite refreshingly direct to me, I think "buk" is used as a prefix for a male's name and it can mean that they consider you as one of them (friends) which I think is honerable and priviledge. I can be wrong though.

Cheers!

Not getting confused. The GF thing was just an example. I Think it is quite unique to Thailand, unless we go to some tribe in the middle of the amazon, who will refer to you as "the" something. Social contacts between visitors and natives have many levels, and i believe there is one of these level that shows a strong thai cultural insularity, and I sense a vague cultural self-defense mechanism, subconsciously, still at play. Quite healthy, seen that way, actually. Which could also explain why middle-class thais, having no problem to be a little more western, (a little less thai? As jasmine often alludes to for herself) use the term less often

I Think it is quite unique to Thailand, unless we go to some tribe in the middle of the amazon, who will refer to you as "the" something.

I just found out recently that in Hindi the corresponding word is firanghi and is often used the same way, as a generic classifier for non-Indian persons of European origin.

I've been to India, and if only because of indians having quite a good grasp of english, especially around tourists and foreigners, I did not hear "firhangi" or something as ubiquitous as "farang". On top of it, India is a big country, i am not sure it's covered the same way all around. maybe someone who stayed longer there could tell us, but you remind me of being in Vietnam in 92, and the kids calling us "risso", as all they saw and heard about then were mainly east european co-operants. I think this has changed by now.

Just joking on the other planet thing, but still the fact that ¤¹µèÒ§´éÒÇ translates into alien makes me wonder.

Was a bit of confusion over this when the power to be were discussion the "alien business law" now called more properly "Foregn business Act". Most foreigners were wondering what the word"Alien" was doing in the name of the previous act.

Aliens are from a another planet, are they not. And those lands are very very distant aren't they, äÃéâ· or no äÃéâ·

jasmine, got it in one. thats why i dont mind being called it !! farang on the other hand is a general term applied to everyone determined upon appearance alone. usually i look back at them and refer to them as 'mamuang' or something similar .... gets a laugh anyway !!

" but you remind me of being in Vietnam in 92, and the kids calling us "risso", as all they saw and heard about then were mainly east european co-operants. I think this has changed by now. "

Compared to Thai Vietnamese are certainly more suspicious towards foreigners. This might be natural considering their past. My Vietnamese fiance's family are not exactly happy about our relationship.

As a foreigner you are a outsider in a lot of countries. I would say the Thai are pretty tolerant compared to many other nationalities.

Archived