Thai Chinese or not ?

My Thai GF whose Dad is of Chinese origin is fond of using the word MILA ,as in the phrase " Yahk (l) dai (f) mila (f),or " Ao mila ".Could I use this word or would it be inappropriate is it maybe a female type of word? Anybody else heard this ?.

mila(ÃÔáÅà my guess at the spelling) is a colloquial form of äËà (mai) the question word. So "Yahk (l) dai (f) mila (f)" Would be "yahk dai mai?"or " Ao mila " would be "ao mai?".

Thinking about it a bit more I realised that it's actually an abbreviation of äËÃËÃ×à (mairue) or fully äËÃËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒ (mairue plao)

I am sure it is àÃÒäËÃËÅèÃ. It is a spoken Thai very often used to indicate question. You can speak without the word La and the meaning is still the same like Ao Mai. But the tone is a little softer. You can use either way. It doesn't make any difference really.

Markel, You said:

"Thinking about it a bit more I realised that it's actually an abbreviation of äËÃËÃ×à (mairue) or fully äËÃËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒ (mairue plao) "

I think it is not the abbre. of any word you suggested. The word äËà (mai)is never used with ËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒ (rue plao). You either use one or the other. For example, Khun yaak tan kow mai ¤Ø³ÃÂÒ¡·Ò¹¢éÒÇäËà (Do you want to eat ?) OR Khun yaak tan kow rue plao ¤Ø³ÃÂÒ¡·Ò¹¢éÒÇËÃ×Ãà»ÅèÒ These two sentences are exactly the same in meaning.

>>>I am sure it is àÃÒäËÃËÅèà <<<

Same opnion here.

IMO a bit of a slang amongst friends as opposed to the more formal / polite addition of the word "khrap"

>>>I am sure it is àÃÒäËÃËÅèà <<<

Same opinion here.

IMO a bit of a slang amongst friends as opposed to the more formal / polite addition of the word "khrap"

Archived