Bar fine practice / penalty for bg?

thalenoi

I spent the month of may with my regular bg. She arranged to "disappear" all month from the bar to avoid me having to pay 30 x 400 baht. On my first night I went to the bar at her request, she wanted to inform all her friends and the mamasan. I had to tip the mamasan. I also imagine she waited for me to show-up before making this "official", no risk to loose face (a guy is coming, will take me all month and then he does not show-up)

Anyway, I phoned her this morning and she did not sound very happy, she explained she was fined 6.000 baht by the "boss" because she did not work that month.

Is this normal practice at gogo's? I understand the owner not to be happy for loss of income from one of his "employees", on the other hand why wouldn't a bg be able to take one month leave to go home or whatever. I imagine 6.000 baht to be her normal month's salary.

I can imagine some arrangement could be made beforehand, 30 x 400 is 12.000 baht to pay for a lady which does not showup for one month. That would mean 6.000 for the boss and 6.000 for the bg. does a "boss" really have to be so harsh with his bg's?

I gave her 30.000 baht, paid her room for two months, paid all her living expenses and some extras in a few (not expensive presents) I hope she still made a reasoneable deal, but understand she got pissed-off if she got a 6.000 baht fine!

Your toughts and experiences are welcome.

khun jay dee maak...

long time barfine is applied regulary in such cases, as she told the fact to everyone, that she stayed with you. so the boss, mamasan have no choice....just to keep discipline.

girls, who just disappear, or go to phao yaa (the 4. time within half a year) get probably exempted from this barfine.

What you describe is not unusual. As was already noted, a lot of this probably relates to maintaining discipline within the "stable".

Also, check into the precise wording of the situation - was she required to pay 6,000 baht out of pocket, or did she merely have 6,000 baht deleted from her earnings (effectively cancelling out the base salary she would have earned - but did not earn because she was away with you)?

At any rate, based on the compensation you described, she made out all right - she most likely would not have accompanied you for a full month unless she enjoyed being with you.

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

Bangkok Butterfly,

As you know, the exact wording in a phone conversation is difficult to grasp. Now, if she did not get any salary for the month of may I would find that ok, I would imagine she is smart enough to understand that (but then you never know...)

On the other hand if she would get an earnings deduction of 6000 baht on her june pay because she did not work in may (and get zero from the bar in may) her real income then would have been 24.000 baht iso the 30.000 real income (no bar salary for the month)i gave her. In which case I would also feel pissed-off

I will try to clarify this by phoning again and keep you guys updated.

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

I talked again to my gf and from what i understand

a) she had no salary in may (normal i told her)

B) she has to pay 6.000 baht fine to the boss for not being there. I do find this over the top to be honest. I emailed the bar, would be surprised to get a reply.

Morale: think about the consequences for the lady before you try this.

What you should've done was to bar the bar a flat 10,000 baht then every time you see her you no longer have to pay a bar fine. That is what I did with my G/F, so now I just show up at the bar and the mamasan knows that I am there and that is it.

DJ

Archived