Respect for the dead

khunsanuk

Hi,

As most of you probably know Thai media has not much respect for privacy and loves showing mutulated bodies. Some events in the last couple of weeks were completely out of line in my eyes.

The first event was a couple of weeks ago. A Thai army (?) helicopter had crashed in the sea, killing the crew. That evening they showed the recovery crew fishing the stiff corpses of the crew out of the sea on primetime TV. All of this was shot at close distance, including close ups of the corpses.

The second event was last night, and I admit I didn't see it, but according to my wife they showed an autopsy on TV. She described how they cut the skull open, how they opened the chest and took out the heart. Again this was on national TV, although not primetime this time.

Maybe it is just me, but I think a bit more respect for the dead would be in order. And while we are at it, some more respect for privacy might not be misplaced either. Like maybe not showing a rape victim on TV while displaying her full name?

Sanuk!

I agree, worst one I saw was some poor guy fished out of the river and roughly kicked over by a cops boot ...... very distressing.

Why?........ Maybe because of religous belief, the person has no need for the body anymore, that sort of thing. TIT. crazy.gif" border="0

Marcel,

I think perhaps its a case of cultural difference. In the Buddhist tradition, the body is mearly a vessel for the soul and as such is just another worthless material form. Its hard to get your head around things which aren't rooted in Western cultural norms when in Thailand, but then again, so many of our habits are equally or more offensive to Thais as well.

Cheers

Jaga

Do any of you remember the case up north somewhere where a young boy was killed by a slightly older boy because he wanted his bicycle. At the traditional recreation of the crime, the victim's family were a little taken aback when the local police chief dragged out their son's corpse to pose for the photos!

His reasoning, as earlier posts on this thread alluded, was that it wasn't going to do him any harm, what use was the body anyway?

I also remember a recreation of the murder of 2 young girls in their bed by their father which looked suspiciously like the real stiffs were being used for dramatic effort.

LG

I agree with y'all - it's all a bit too gory. Even if the body is worthless, who really needs to see it mutilated?

There are a lot of dead fans in the states - the "Grateful Dead" that is. You know what "Dead" fans say when they run out of pot? - "Man, this music sucks!"

Why?........ Maybe because of religous belief, the person has no need for the body anymore, that sort of thing. TIT.

I think you are right if it's a stranger.

However if its a love one, that body sure holds significance. Example one of my Fiancees staff members grandmother died last weekend. She attended the cremation. However their was no cremation that day. The husband of the deceased was 92 years and she had been 85 years. They had been married 70 years. He would not let them take the body away. He was holding on and crying for dear life. Her body sure meant alot to this gentleman.

Another case in point, some Thais wear their deceased parents teeth in a annulet around their necks. The body means something in this case.

Yes I agree overall King Sanuk, this practice of eating lunch while staring at dead peoples pictures at the temples is gruesome. If its a love one they put the sandwich down and cry otherwise it's another bite of the old sandwich.... while they smile.

K. Sanuk,

The TV show with the autopsy and crime/accident reporting are not the same thing. I saw the autopsy program and the body was not identifyable, and the parts being worked on were made blocky so you didn't actually see it. My girlfriend and I wondered what the purpose was really because you couldn't actually see any details! Either show it all (except of course the identity of the corpse) or don't bother I'd say. The other thing was that it wasn't a medical show but a regular entertainment game show where they put some contestant in that autopsy room with the doctor (famous female TV doctor) performing the autopsy.

So I guess while it won't win any prizes for good taste, it's still a lot more decent than police/newspapers/magazines/TV reporters dragging a mother's freshly raped and killed daughter into the open for some drama shots.

A visiting friend of mine died last week here in Chiang Mai; not a major news story I'd say, he fell in the bathroom in Bangkok 2 days earlier, didn't go to the hospital and died here in Chiang Mai of internal injuries (also after falling again off a motorbike which could have made things worse). But for sure the story (and his picture) were in the local newspaper.

In general I think you'd do well to keep your loved ones away from police and the body-bag-pick-up guys. If the dreaded pick-up is already on the scene then specify the hospital. (Give them some baht if necessary because for sure they receive commission from the hospital where they take the victim)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Archived