Violation of the freedom of press - once again

Hardy641

As usually I wanted to buy the Far Eastern Economic Review. I was suprised to hear from that this month edition has been banned in Thailand for saying something offensive about the King and the Prime Minister. So I went to the magazine's online site and read

the article in question. It was not at all offensive against the King. It

just said about Thaksin things that everybody already knew. So I wonder who

had the magazine banned - the King - or Thaksin? That guy is dangerous and insane!

P.S. - For your own information, here is the article:

A Right Royal Headache

It promises to be a messy new year for Thailand politically, if the messages

from some senior officials are to be believed. Thai Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra is becoming an increasing source of irritation to King Bhumibol

Adulyadej because of Thaksin's perceived arrogance and his alleged attempts

to meddle in royal family affairs. Thailand's constitutional monarch has no

formal role in day-to-day politics, but in a speech in early December

marking his birthday he lambasted the premier in public.Thaksin is known to

have business links with the king's son, Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn.

According to a senior official close to the palace, all this is frowned upon

by the king, prompting speculation of a possible confrontation between the

Prime Minister's Office and the palace. The same source worries that

Thaksin, who gained a massive majority in last year's January 6 general

election, may use his status as Thailand's wealthiest businessman, with

solid backing in parliament, to fend off the royal palace. That would have

serious and worrying implications for the future stability of Thailand.

Seems that the article puts Thaksin in a rather difficult position. If, under Thai law, it is illegal to publish interpretations of Royal actions or opinions, or to speculate about what those opinions may be, then Thaksin would be quite within his rights to have the offending article banned. Indeed, if he allows publication to go ahead he is neglecting his patriotic duty, whereas if he bans the article he is accused of whatever it is we're all accusing him of.

I would be interested to know exactly how the Thai press have responded. I would guess that those sympathetic towards Thaksin would either keep the matter quiet, or point out that Thaksin is defending Thailand from false and erroneous foreign points of view. Those elements in the media who favour greater press freedoms may still find it difficult to take the "Un-Thai" course of suggesting that the "lese majeste" laws be bent in the (foreign?) interests of having a crack at the Prime Minister.

I don't know what His Majesty would make of it all, but I see far more evidence of Thaksin's competence in government and I'm with The King.

While I generally think the press would normally have a field day on this I don't think they would touch this. Least not very much and when they do, they will be very careful to be very objective.

The article did state this is a "royal headache". That wording alone puts it on very mercurial footing.

<<burp>>

If any of the mainstream Thai press took this one up and ran with it, I will walk backward to Chang Mai. No one is going to touch it....with a barge poll!

Suffice it to say, if there is any truth to it, the King will always prevail and Thaksin should know better. shocked.gif" border="0

Archived