"Scared" of Patpong...

MooNoi

I first came to Bangkok in 1996 as a typically-naive tourist. Of course, I had heard about Patpong and obviously went to check it out. I was with my farang girlfriend at the time, so no sanukking. I think we went into a girlie bar and then lasted about 5 minutes until my GF freaked out, and then left after paying about 400 baht for a couple of drinks! Anyway, I haven't been back to Patpong since. I read the posts you guys write about Star of Light and other bars there, and would like to check it out sometime and see how it compares to Nana and SC. I am worried about getting ripped off in Patpong though. Is Patpong worth it? Are the drinks that much more expensive than NEP and SC, and if so, why go there? Just for a change of scenery? What is alluring about Patpong for you?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

In my opionion Nana and Patpong can not be compared on the same day. While Nana has nothing else than girlie-format bars, save Woodstock, there is a full range of entertainment in Patpong: Hostess bars, BJ bars, karaoke lounges, a bunch of snooker, pool and dart venues, beer bars, several decent restuarants (where that japanese joint in the corner of Patpong I and Surawong is worth an extra mentioning) etc, etc. Nana certainly has a long way to go compared to PP. -- Hell, I even think drink prices in general are lower in PP! smile.gif

Straycat

Nana certainly has a long way to go compared to PP. -- Hell, I even think drink prices in general are lower in PP!

Really??? I thought you couldn't get a beer in Patpong for under 150 baht?! How do you avoid "tourist" and rip-off bars? What's the average price for a beer in a "real" sanuk bar? I've also heard a lot of stories about bill-padding going on in Patpong, and when you refuse to pay, the heavies appear. True, or tourist myth?

bill padding is certainly no tourist myth. i think there are many threads about that. some bars are more aggressive than others, but that changes frequently and i would never give a guarantee that any first floor bar is absolutely rip off free.

regarding prices, i do not know any bar in patpong, where you have to pay 150 baht or more for a beer (unless the bill is padded of course.....).

patpong offers a larger variety than nana or cowboy. there is as well a different clientele. much more couples, newbies and asians. you will for example get much more attention if you walk there hand in hand with a large piece of katoey than in nana or sc.

Nothing-As a resident of BKK and not having been to the pong in many a year I walked around with a friend the other night- First of all I think that most 80-90% of all of the the girls in the Bars are hard as nails I find them even harder in the pong-and somewhat less attractive than Nana or the massage parlors-and more aggressive-

Just my opinion I walked into the Star of light and found it disgusting -not a judgment of all of you Star fans just my impression-Maybe I am too sensitive or been here too long-or these places have lost their appeal-

-They are almost always the same-

IMHO-

This is a good thread. I think the "old hands" can really provide some valuable insight. Particularly to those of us who are game to visit PP but have heard too many stories or may have had a negative experience or two. I, too, had been intimidated by PP. However on my last trip a couple of months ago I went back and had a decent time -- particularly at the SOL (I know, I know? for all you detractors that place can be slimy but "one man's ceiling is another man's floor", right?). I had been turned off by PP because I felt uneasy there. There seemed to be an inordinate amount of touts, numerous tourists, too much variety, and too many people selling bootleg stuff - also it is a bit spread out so a wrong turn here could result in more doubt?. For someone who only makes 2 or 3 trips to BKK a year, I like to have as little hassles as I can while visiting. Particularly when I have an alternate like Nana where I always had a grand time.

Prior to this summer, the last time I was in PP (1999) I felt extremely pressured and I thought the joint I randomly entered (can not recall name - sorry) was rough around the edges. Girls were not so pretty, the crowd was not so relaxed, etc. I also was in BKK another time in 1999 and a married buddy was given a "one night get out of jail" pass by his wife. He asked me to take him to PP. I tried to convince him to try Nana but he insisted on seeing a PP show. So we went to PP and were overcharged to sit next to some older (Chinese?, Japanese?) tourists while some used-up broad blew out birthday candles with her stinky pinky. In a different forum this would have been great but sitting next to grandma while this was happening just was not cutting the mustard - for either one of us. So off we went to Nana where I had to drag my mate out of there at closing time. The look of sadness on his face was compounded further when we were in the taxi together and I had a bargirl on my arm!! A little salt in the wound for dragging me to PP. shocked.gif

However when I went back to PP a few months ago I had a decent time. Maybe I am a little wiser to the scene and know what to expect. Maybe I am a bit more open in my tastes. The posts on this board also helped in the selection process. So for you guys who live in BKK, or are regulars to the hotspots, please pass on any positive PP comments (along with the negative) because I know I would like to give it another try but still have some lingering doubts.

I thought you couldn't get a beer in Patpong for under 150 baht?! How do you avoid "tourist" and rip-off bars?

The major places in PP beers are 80 baht, barfines 400. Easy to find; just take a walk through and you'll see it on the placards held up and hear a chorus of "welcome, no cover charge, 1 beer 80 baht".

Kings group bars on the ground floor (King I,II,III, Camelot and King's Corner) are known for the worst padding. I have personally experienced it from at least 3 of these and witnessed others getting it, but now feel pretty failsafe at being able to prevent it (search the archives if you want to know strategies). They pad those they believe will not see it coming: large bills, drunk people, carefree tourists, or people in groups. Disputes can get nasty. However these are the biggest bars with the most girls. Some kings group bars have over 100 girls working at a time meaning a little more of everything. Have special needs in a girl/girls? ask the mamasan. Another advantage of the kings group is the workers have mandatory testing and education on safe sex.

For upstairs shows ironically the kings group bars are a good choice (Queen I & II). Compared to other upstairs venues they have better quality shows, better looking girls, and no padding as far as I know.

As stated before, gogo's are just the tip of the entertainment there. Plenty going on there so have a look. Just be careful about getting off the main roads, going upstairs, and mind your bill.

I go to Patpong at least once a week and enjoy it. You have to ignore the touts and just push past. They are jsut doing a job and want no hassle. The night market can be a major hassle as it stops one moving around as freely as you want.

The main rule is do not go upstairs unless you know the place. Kings Group, Cleopatra (PP2) okay

Be careful about buying drinks for girls, and they hassle like mad. Do not clink glasses with a girl unless you have agreed to buy the drink.

The kings group gogos (Kings Castle 1 & 2, Camelot Castle)are fun with lots of girls, some quite good and often not nearly as hard as you may think. Avoid Kings C 3 unless you like katoys

Best gogo for new commer maybe Safari.

On PP2 good bar beers (open late) and very good French bistro (Le Bouchon), old hands bar is Tavern.

Go and enjoy

Archived