Analyze your fantasy team's performance

"I actually muttered "bastard" under my breath when Giggsy got the second goal against Charlton and then "bastard" again when he set up RVN for the third, just because some of the members had him in their team and I didn't. How sad is that!?! LOL"

I did that too, for the same reason! It completely changes the way you view a game, doesn't it?

No, you're not the only sad anorak who's spending far too long on this so I love this thread. I'll probably bore even the most committed of you off it. As an example of what you're up against: I actually fell asleep last night wondering what was the best way to go from Squad A (my current one) to Squad B (the new desired one) using only one transfer a week.

You have to bear in mind things like: a) Money juggling, especially if you're trying to switch allocations to a different part of your team B) Not exceeding 3 players per team at any time c) The fact that some players' worth might go up more quickly than others while you're in transition d) When do you make your transfers? Do you pounce just after the weekend games, before everyone's had the chance to bid the player up or do you hold on until the end of the week, just in case you get injuries in mid-week? It's a real art!

It's not as easy as it first seemed, is it? I had Toure too, yet decided to rest him for the Leeds game as I thought it might be a tough one. It turned out that Ljundberg was rested, which can't have pleased the hundreds that snapped him up for 9.2m last week!

That adds another level of interest to selection, doesn't it? The best teams tend to a) have the best players but B) be involved in a lot of other competitions and c) have lots of cover for positions, which they use frequently. d) They also have more set-piece players... Therefore, you might be better off with strikers such as Massimo Maccarone or Kevin Campbell, because they're more likely to play 90 minutes, every game.

Initially, I based my selection around the principles that Steve McClaren and Terry Venables would organise strong defences. That's proved to be true so far with one of them!

Boro also have the classic, much sought-after characteristic of playing players classed as "defenders" in midfield. That's why I got Toure too. Aston Villa have got Barry and Samuel playing well up the park too but I'm not sure about them yet.

Another principle I'm working on is to ditch non-performers very quickly. Go with the form and momentum as much as you can. It's a bit subjective but you can see some of it on the "bonuses awarded" stats. Henry and Gerrard seem to be getting a bonus every game.

I had a hunch that Liverpool's midfield would prove more lively this year, with Gerrard having fixed his injury problems. (I looked at the number of games different players played last season, not only how many points they'd got and I noticed that he'd only played just over 20 games.)

Too much already..

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice analysis Bibblies. What chance have I got of getting to Racha island with blokes like you around? LOL

("no f***ing chance at all if you don't chip in your 500 baht" says Frog Patrol)

I think that we're all being a bit over-cautious with transfers personally. OK 4 points is a lot to lose, but mathmetically Boner Loner whipped my ass by 30-odd points, which just goes to show the level of points that one member can score over another. If transfers need to be made, then they need to be made, because at the moment I've got 6 players I'm just not happy with.

Baros (flash in the pan)

Anelka (City are gonna struggle this season)

Sol Campbell (too many yellow cards and Arsenal always seem to concede a goal)

Danny Mills (Why did I swap Woodgate for him?)

Robbie Savage (nuff said)

Luzhny (bench-warmer)

And yet if I go out and buy Toure and Giggs, then my team will be a carbon copy of other member's teams.

No Phil....don't do it....Phil! .....don't do it.

Ah, transfers... I've 3 players I want to bring in.

You have to balance the probability of your new player getting 4 points more than the one you propose to swap him with that week. So, look at the records and the team each player is due to face. Are they really going to get 4 more points straight away?

Most players are inconsistent. Boner Loner's ahead on the Toure gamble. Yet, last week the same player got only 1 point for me..

BTW - Boy, you've got some duds there! wink.gif

Well, OK - Savage and Luzhny are the real duds, IMO.

I reckon Anelka, like Kevin Campbell, will still get goals this season whether City struggle or not. And at least he's the focal point of the attack - they haven't got many alternatives.

Baros is alright - he's only gone one match without scoring so you can't call him a flash in the pan yet! I regretted not buying him before..

Sol Campbell and Mills should get decent points totals but I think they're a bit overpriced and, in the case of Campbell, it's a waste of an Arsenal berth. You could try what you suggested earlier - getting any old cheap shitty defenders so you can concentrate on the rest. There are a lot of fair value defenders out there.

"And yet if I go out and buy Toure and Giggs, then my team will be a carbon copy of other member's teams.."

Looking at the stats, a few interesting things appeared:

1. Despite his points record and apparent reliability, people can't bring themselves to pick Kevin Campbell. He's in only 372 teams out of nearly 20,000!

2. Ditto with Kanu. He's picked by only 126! Sheringham and Radzinski are also among the top ten forwards yet people are too embarassed to have them in their teams! (They're picked by 686 and 147 people, respectively)

3. For some reason I can't fathom, Wiltord's being sold at a ratio of two to one. Why? He's still on form, in the team, scoring heavily..

I have Sherringham and I'm afraid to even look at my score. I will make an attempt today to make changes. If not, I'll write it off. I'm doing something wrong obviously as others can make changes.

Kanu may not be around for the season if rumors are true. Also, there was a rumor that Bergkamp was retiring at years end but I think he has refuted it though.

Steve

Probably because of the heavy transfer fees, there is an extra stage in the transfer process where having told the computer to make the transfers you also have to click on 'Confirm transfers' on the next screen. Seems a bit obvious but maybe worth mentioning. Personally,. I think you should carry on doing shite, because not many others are doing worse than me!

LG

Of my players, it looks as though Bowyer and Traore (and, mystifyingly, maybe even Wiltord) are on their way down.

And, damn it, Giggs is already up 0.1. (If you're confident, buy on Sunday, folks.) Surprisingly though, Toure's still level.

Dilemma - do I do the midfielder swap or the defender? I was going to swap Giggs for Bowyer this week. Looking at it, it makes sense - Bowyer was going down, Giggs was on his way up and furthemore, he's got a cracking fixture list coming up. Ah - may delay - Bowyer's playing Aston Villa next.. But his value's going down quickly..

On the other hand, the dodgy Traore's got potentially tough fixtures (even if he plays!), is still sinking in the transfer market and his cheaper potential replacement has a promising fixture list against barren opposition..

And there may be injuries in mid-week. Oh no..

Archived