Anyone seen "Butterfly Man"?

Now playing in BKK.

Not to be confused with "Butterfly in Grey".

Also not to be confused with a different "Butterfly Man" ("A love triangle of American expatriates in Cambodia leads to tragedy and redemption").

I mean the one that's about "an English backpacker whose world falls apart when he meets and falls in love with a beautiful girl on an exotic Thai island." Sounds like a bit of a stretch. ;)

Three "butterfly" movies in the same year?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it as part of Bangkok Film Festival.

It's like a movie version of this board.

A lot of the story line is similar to what I read from this board.

I found is a bit shallow the way the movie showed the Backpacker falling in love with the girl. Or maybe it is the writer's intention that it is shallow.

Many viewers bursted into laughter when the bgs spoke English. I wonder they might remind them of the real story they have expereinced.

The ending was a bit funny too.

All in all I'm glad I saw it.

It was shown only for the Festival. It is a British independent movie.

The line from the bg, "Lob me short time one thousand, lob me lonf time two thousand" got a big laugh from the crowd including me. I thought the leading charactor would negociate it to 1500 LT. But he's a newbie so he paid the overpriced fee.

:D:D:D

Here's the detail.

Butterfly Man

Brief synopsis:

After splitting up with his girlfriend whilst on holiday in Thailand, a young English backpacker, Adam, meets and falls in love with a beautiful Thai girl, Em, on an island paradise. His world falls apart when he needlessly lies to her about another girl and Em betrays Adam to the ex-pat mafia. When he uncovers their fraudulent passport operation, Adam must save Em and rescure her from a deadly plot involving human trafficking.

Genre/s: Drama

Format: 35mm Fuji

Year of Production: 2001

Running Time: tbc

Director: Kaprice Kea

Producer: Tom Waller

Screenwriter: Kaprice Kea

Director of Photography: Mark Duffield

Sound: Hugh Graham

Leading Players: Stuart Laing, Napakpapha Nakprasit, Francis Magee, Gavan O'Herlihy, Abigail Good, Kirsty Mitchell

Production Company:

De Warrenne Pictures Ltd

St Anne's House

3 Diadem Court

London

W1D 3EF

Tel: 00 44 (0)20 7734 7648

Fax: 00 44 (0)70 9236 7853

info@dewarrenne.com

www.dewarrenne.com

Sales Agent: as above

[ur]http://www.britfilms.com/britishfilms/detail/?film=bf011025113554[/url]

More

An acting experience

by Preecha Intavirat, Bangkok ( updated: June 16, 2002 )

During the last two months, I had the experience of being a movie star in an indie film shot in southern Thailand.

The film is called The Butterfly Man, and is a story of an English backpacker whose world falls apart when he meets and falls in love with a beautiful Thai masseuse.

This unique film, set on a vibrant and crazed island, is an adventurous movie filled with passion, humour and intrigue.

Packed with colourful characters and stunning locations, The Butterfly Man confronts the themes and issues of travel, east-west romance and the tragic world of human trafficking.

The film stars Stuart Laing ( Southwest Nine) and Nakhapapha "Mamee" Nakprasit ( Mae Bia). I play the character of Captain Mae-Khong who owns an old fishing boat.

Acting in this film was a great experience and an exciting moment in my life.

The entire crew came from abroad and everybody had to speak English during work. This helped me a lot in brushing up my English speaking skills. I think I will never this incredible experience of being a movie star in my life!

http://www.nationjunior.com/columns/news/index.php?cID=260

These two sites each has a nice pic of the film. The first site the pic showed Mamee making her hands like a butterfly to show what the word mean to Adam. The second site showed the scene which was being shot on a boat.

It was shot entirely in Thailand (Bkk - Kao San Road) and Koh Samui.

At the Festival the Director and the Producer came and talked a bit about the movie before it would be shown. The director approached the producer unknowlingly that he was half Thai. (He had an Indian look I might add.) He said after he read the script he loved it and said to himself he had to make it. It took them 3 years though. It was the World Premier when shown here at Siam Discovery on Sat night. His brother was supposed to be here with him but he died in the bombing incident in Bali 2 weeks ago ! He got big applaud from the crowd.

So, sorry the movie might not made it to main stream theatres. I don't know if they have DVD or something of that sort. You might want to contact the sales agent info@dewarrenne.com

http://www.dewarrenne.com/

Just click the Complete button and choose Butterfly Man and you will find more info of the movie and very beautiful picture.

More info from the site...

Butterfly Man has been selected to feature in the forthcoming Bangkok Film Festival with a special preview screening on Saturday Nov 2nd.

The film will premiere in the UK during the inaugural Thai Film Festival between 28th November and 5th December 2002 with the UK release scheduled for December 6th in London's West End and selected cinemas across the country. For premiere ticket availability contact tickets@dewarrenne.com

So there you go.

GTG

PS.Oh God..I just check out the website and found that they are making an interesting story about Chao Praya Vichaiyen Vichaiyen, Falcon of Siam

Dramatic true story of the Greek adventurer Constantine Phaulkon, who rose to power in the court of King Narai in C17th Siam.

I'm looking forward to this one. Maybe they will finish it in time for our next Bangkok Film Festival.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Archived