Australians GO HOME!

Stickman

They wouldn't blow up the Grace coffee shop! Half of Al-Quida would be taken out if anything happened to that building. Safest place in Bkk, I would guess.

Anyway, I don't think it would be so bad to have a few less tourists bumping into to you everywhere you go. (By that I mean by changing their holiday plans.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RedBaron,

Coming to Australia from London, eh ? Just as well you are stopping off in the LOS, because it is bloody hot here at the moment !

Technically, its still mid-Spring, but try telling that to the weather man. It was 40 deg Celsius in the west of Brisbane the other day, even hotter in places like Mt Isa. We are in the middle of a killer drought, with no real rain forecast for the rest of the year.

The good news is that you'll have no problems getting a tan whilst you are in our tender care :)

Stick,

The media here has also broadcast this warning, and it seems clear that the pendulum has swung. DFAT and the Government were roundly criticised for not upgrading their travel advisory for Bali prior to the blast. My own feeling is that it would not have changed the outcome : we just didnt expect this to happen.

OK, so DFAT have scratched their heads and said 'Where will the tourists go after Bali ?'. Vietnam ? Cambodia ? China ? Finally, someone found Thailand on the map and it all fell into place ...

I did hear mention of local terrorist activity during my recent visit to southern China, but I havent heard anything regarding Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia. Anyone ?

I just thought that was a more likely place than Nana, where Arabs seem to be banned.

Fuck it, it wouldn't stop me going anyway. Living in London, I was always in favour of being given the option to travel on the Underground whenever a bomb warning was given. (Sadly though, they used to stop services whenever the IRA issued a threat or a suspect package was found). You can't let these people terrorise you. On the same basis, if I were living in Washington now I'd probably be walking around in a target T-shirt..

Says Pom_Jao_Choo:

They can issue all the warnings they like!

I will be in LOS this winter if I have to travell through Bucharist to get there

My sentiments exactly. I think Thailand is no more/no less likely to be targeted, so I am taking the govts' advice with a grain of salt. At any rate, I am booked into a room at the Grace for Xmas day!

Cheers

Jaga

Anyone or anybody in a senior responsible risk positon for one's safety and/or liability will always overstate their case. This comes with the territory. Through intelligence gathering, there must be some type of evidence for australia to reasonably warn about LOS. I think this is prudenct practice to do so. In today's world, think about the reprecussions by not doing so........

I, myself, will continue to live in LOS but now acutely aware of what can happen here at anytime or anyplace. You just have to have perpetual awareness at all times and use your gut feeling to survive. I had written both P.I. and Bali off my visit lists prior to what had and has been transpiring in those places.........

I feel fortunate that i do have some previous experience and knowldege in the intelligence world. It doesn't mean i predict what will or can happen. It does give me a different perspective though and maybe a greater awareness and feeling.

About Thailand, I am concerned more than ever before and my antenna is now actively working at all times here. I will tell you places like nana plaza (or even nana disco) due to its poor layout, small suface area, population density, type of visitors (principle target), lack of egress exits and materiel and structural design makes me uneasy..........

But each of us needs to keep moving foward. Luck or lack of it plays a big part of each of out lives.........

cardinalblue

2. For all Australians in Thailand to leave asap

Stick,

The Australian Government stated that Thailand and many other countries in Asia have been upgraded with warnings of possible terrorist action, urging Australians to exercise extreme caution,

No where can I find info that the Australian government has stated '' For all Australians in Thailand to leave asap ''

The strongest warning still is about Indonesia, stating that travel should be deferred, visitors should leave and public places avoided,

Archived