Phuket Going Down The Toilet For Family Tourists?

My Cow Jai

I read Stickmans column about how Phuket is becoming too obnoxious for many people to enjoy properly.

This kind of resonates for me as I have met many people over the last year, mostly visiting farang couples, who said Samui and Phuket was a let down for them. Enunciating that greedy and harrasing Thai's left a bitter taste in their mouth and the P4P scene is unescapable.

With sex tourism really 'in your face' in Bkk, Pattaya and increasingly Samui and Phuket too - is Thailand in risk of alienating the non-sex tourists couples who want peace and quiet?

Its so sad to see people going home having not really had a great time here. If people go home with these impressions, don't make no plans to return, what are they going to say to other potential vacationeers?

I hope the Thai government is aware that increasingly many tourists feel that Thailand is over-rated.

What do other board members think and whats the solution? While banning Katoeys and junk vendors from Phuket may go a long way to rectifying these problems(!!), it ain't gonna happen...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I read Stickmans column about how Phuket is becoming too obnoxious for many people to enjoy properly"

In the first place, not what I would consider anything close to objective, accurate reporting.

I assume you have been to Puket before and realize that it is a rather large island, made up of many beaches and resorts. You can spend a week or more there and see no in-your-face sex industry, though it is always there in the background if you want it.

How could he speak for the millions of people that visit? Certainly he has never been to the resorts that most non-sexpats or english teachers visit. Can you imagine him spending 4K baht for a room? He bitches about 80 baht beer. He is so out of touch, he does not realize that when on real vacation, people with real jobs are willing to pay USD 100 or 200 a night for 4 or 5 star hotel. Go to Orlando, Fla and see what you get for the same money or how obnoxious people try to get every dime out of you.

Tourism in Thailand continues to grow because, compared to most other places, it is a deal and and a novelity.

Thailand has serious, serious problems, these problems have nothing to do with sexpats or english teachers coming to or living in Thailand and spending their little money.

TH

Jasmine,

Phuket is going the way of the family tourist and couples not the other way around, there is only one beach area that blatantly caters to single male guys and that is Patong beach, read the post of Thaihome much more accurate info on the real situation in Phuket.

Yes although the red light district is limited on the island.. seeing the old men with the young thai tart playing in the water is inescapable.. It is impossible for families to excape that.. Although most children will not put 2 and 2 together, the parents who pay for the trip will. But it is not that sex tourists that would turn people off, the GD tuk tuk drivers, touts, beach sellers etc most definately would

Although yes big american 200$ a night people would spend more money in a week than an english teacher that lives here. Over the year the English teacher will spend ALL of his money in Thailand just not a week or 2, and this money will generally go to the people who need it not to Mr. JW Marriot and International corp.

Although yes big american 200$ a night people would spend more money in a week than an english teacher that lives here. Over the year the English teacher will spend ALL of his money in Thailand just not a week or 2, and this money will generally go to the people who need it not to Mr. JW Marriot and International corp.

This is bullshit and and if you don't know it, you should. Unless, of course, that university you are so proud of graduating from didn't bother to teach you basic economics.

In simple terms you should be able to understand, Old JW puts more into the Thai economy in one month then you and every English teacher combined will in your entire lifetimes.

As far as your crack on Thai tarts, only reply I can think of would be edited. Your ability to superficially judge people makes you a real Thai middle class person.

You have met notbutforyou I assume, you and him and stick should get together use all the holes at the same time, like the public school prats you so want to be.

TH

Archived