Phuket Going Down The Toilet For Family Tourists?

My Cow Jai

Touts (and tailors) should also have been on my list. They try to block tourists near the ATM/Exchange at the bottom of the cinema complex on Second Road in Patts - I sprint up the roadway and into the shops, but they nail almost everyone else. Interesting times ahead for real estate in Pattaya, methinks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

loads of russian couples and familys in kata beach and are private but civil people

i've no doubt there are russians around phuket,just that i have'nt come across many in my last couple of visits.

unlike the japanese and koreans who are everywhere and while a pain as they tend to go around in big groups they are also quite private and don't seem to mix with europeans much.

my favourite travellers/tourists are the scandanavians,they are mainly a fun bunch and very friendly but aussies and kiwis are good companions as well.

Touts (and tailors) should also have been on my list.

luckily in patong the touts are out mainly during the day and congregate in the same area as the tailors and suitcase sellers and fare of that ilk.

you can avoid them all if you are fleet of foot and determined to just ignore them and just walk past.

rarely had a problem with any of them after dark.

the thais selling watches/lighters/sunclasses etc can be a pain during the day but i find that they give up asking when you say no thanks a couple of times.

but i always buy from 2 particular people if i see them as they have become friends and will stop and have a chat when i see them.

i buy cigaretes from a fella i've known for over 10 years and i normally buy him a whisky each day.

and my flower girl is a treasure,she knows i will buy at least one garland of flowers per day and if i don't buy the first time i see her she just smiles and says she will come back later and knows i will stop her when i want to buy.

and when i do buy something from her she gives me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

the ladies in the bar like seeing her interact with me and smile when i get the kiss.

some people deserve a little sympathy if they don't push their luck and act in a decent manner.

some people deserve a little sympathy if they don't push their luck and act in a decent manner.

Combine that with the FILS/GFE you earlier admitted to and, IMO, some in LOS will take you to the cleaners. It took me a long time to accept that, but Ms CP was extremely helpful in opening my eyes. I'm sure you've been kicking around Thailand long enough to know what I'm on about.

The only thing worse than British food is German food. :)

Backpackers, I don't mind them one on one or in small groups. Have had some good conversations with a few in Chiang Mai. I like the idea of travelling on a limited budget because you want to see the world.

But then there also comes the other kind of backpackers, the kind that travel in larger packs, exuding arrogance, treating the locals like simpletons --> and are just an embarrassment. I used to have a much more glamorous view of backpackers, now I interact with them a little bit more warily.

A few years ago there were backpacker complaints about so many Thais visiting Khao Sarn Road. Yeah, WTF business have Thais got being in Thailand anyway? :p

I used to ride the river boats to work every day. You would see the most obnoxious behaviour around the KSR landing, sort of like being an asshole was de rigueur for backpacking. :p

One on one they could be okay. Agree on that.

Combine that with the FILS/GFE you earlier admitted to and, IMO, some in LOS will take you to the cleaners. It took me a long time to accept that, but Ms CP was extremely helpful in opening my eyes. I'm sure you've been kicking around Thailand long enough to know what I'm on about.

that's a snobby Thai-HiSo view and you should be ashame of! After all I have read from you I am surprised you have some HiSo friends in Thailand. Do they wrongly assume you have money or that there are aristocratic aussies?

that's a snobby Thai-HiSo view and you should be ashame of! After all I have read from you I am surprised you have some HiSo friends in Thailand. Do they wrongly assume you have money or that there are aristocratic aussies?

Damn - yet again, HT has caught me out. And I thought the obscenely thick gold chains/Patpong Rolex had the rest of the world fooled ..... B)

Archived