Scandinavian warning to Thailand tourists.

ALHOLK

Limbo.. Yes it is all over the news in Britain today.

Most Western countries seem to be upping the security warnings for Thailand and Phuket in particular.

The British Foreign Office has issued a fresh warning to Britons visiting Thailand. It has said that NEW information suggests that the risk to British (read Westerners) people on the island of Phuket had 'increased significantly' .

The Australian Foreign Ministry has warned that Phuket was at a high risk of a terrorist attack .

The only advice they are giving is to be vigilant.

:: Sounds like they are covering their arses.... so its not their fault if you ignore their warnings.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<Sounds like they are covering their arses.... so its not their fault if you ignore their warnings>>

Absolutly. IRA terrorists didn't scare me in the past visiting friends in London. London was high risk during this campaign of terror.

Hi!

I was afraid of that. The situation in Stockholm is probably similar. I booked my trip in march and the departure date of my choice was already fully booked. :(

I wish Thai and SAS would get their act together and increase the number of flights from Scandinavia.

regards

ALHOLK

Alholk,

Agree on that. SAS have announced that you cannot use your freguent flyer miles to travel to BKK until spring next year as they are already overbooked. Just as I am reaching the number of points nessecary:(

Hi,

Here is the warning from the British Foreign Office

TERRORISM

There is an increased threat to British nationals and British interests from terrorism in South East Asia. Following the terrorist attacks in Bali on 12 October in which Western tourists were deliberately targeted, the threat to British nationals in Thailand, including popular tourist areas, the island of Phuket and the beach resort of Pattaya in particular, has increased significantly. British nationals should exercise extreme caution in public places, in particular places of entertainment such as nightclubs, bars, restaurants and places of worship known to be frequented by foreigners. All British institutions and businesses should reconsider their security arrangements. British and international schools should be especially vigilant.

Over past years there have been a series of minor bomb attacks and other violent incidents in the provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat in southern Thailand. Violent incidents and minor bomb attacks have continued from 2001 into 2002. They are not thought to be terrorist inspired, but the settling of local business differences. They are not aimed at foreigners, but there is a danger of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Visitors to Thailand are advised to consider whether or not they should travel to, or through these areas.

Hi!

Pattaya was never explicitly mentioned in the Sedish warnings. However considering the frequent visits by the US navy it would be a rather obvious target. I'm still convinced that if anything big happens it will be in south Pattaya. Just consider someone parking a car with a bomb under Marine disco. That would be a bloody nightmare. Fortunately I rarely venture down there nowadays and especially not during xmas/new year.

That said, I'm sure as hell not going to stay away. No terrorist arsehole that doesn't drink beer or eat the semi sacred animal of my forfathers gods is going to run my life. :)

regards

ALHOLK

Hi,

South Pattaya would be the area, there is also a well entrenched arab population nearby, so moving about they wouldnt be so visible as they would definitely be in Ko Samui.

I also think that Pattaya is a better target as far as the terrorists are concerened as it is easier for them to get away as opposed being holed up on an Island.

Like yourself I wont be deterred, if it happens it happens.

STH

Hi!

On the other hand targeting Phuket and killing families on goup tours would probably impact the tourist industy on a much larger scale. If Pattaya was bombed a lot of people would just shrug their shoulders and say - "Just a bunch of sex tourists and fucked up sexpats, no big deal". Right or wrong, I think this might be a widespread reaction around the western world.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived