high season airline prices from USA when-when?

OCgringo

Consider high season for airfares from the US any period of time where you have a large number of passengers(usually of Asian ethnicity) flying to Asia. This would be around holidays and school time vacations(June,July,August,December). I would also mention that Japanese holidays affect the availability from Japan to Thailand.

Keep in mind which Asian hub you connect through(NRT,KIX,TPE,HKG). The hub is where you will find most of your bottlenecks as far as capacity availability.

Sometimes if you do some alternative or creative routing you can find decent fares when the standard direct routes seem priced outrageous. I sometimes will fly to SIN or TPE then I will hop a local flight to BKK when the USA to NRT/KIX to BKK direct routes are pretty much sold out for the lower fares.

Low season fares(assuming coach travel) run you typically $550-750 and high season $725-1200 depending how far you book in advance and which carrier you use etc.

Now your fares will differ slightly depending on which ocean you fly over. The info above is based on traveling west because I have not traveled east for a couple of years.

hard to predict how BKK tourism will fare this year. When dealing with airline fares, remember a few things...1)be very flexible on your dates, call and ask what/when is the cheapest days to leave return etc... maybe start by asking for the lowest fares! work from there, ask about restrictions etc. 2) remember, Christmas time is generally higher travel. Students off from school may be gioing to Japan, Korea. HKG etc... Also, a lot of guys from Japan, Korea, HKG etc may also want a holiday in Thailand at this time, and can make up a lot of traffic.

I am an airline employee, so I fly standby. I am looking at 3 weeks from now. Going to Japan, no problem at all it looks, same with HKG but getting to BKK from these places is tight to say the least. Fares are changing every day, spend a little time on line and on the phone and see what you come up with.

Archived